Chapter 6: Into the Yule-Verse

As weak as Stella was, she still managed to help plan the event that she puts on every year around Christmas time, Kribble Krabble. She was going to remain to try and stay strong for her family, even though the random stabs of pain in her chest were happening a lot more and had gotten a lot more stronger. It was to the point where her diet had changed almost completely to Chestnut soup and hot chocolate. No matter how much she had, it did not help. She would've been completely bedridden if she didn't have a reason to get up every day. But, she did. She had a job, a family and a legacy to hold no matter how weak she felt. The grayness spread to her legs and was starting to make its way up to the neck. She started wearing gloves a lot more often too, even around the house.

On the day of Kribble Krabble, which was Christmas Eve, everyone was getting ready for the event. Stella wore a green pants suit with brown gloves and Bernard wore his iconic ugly sweater and beret.

 Stella wore a green pants suit with brown gloves and Bernard wore his iconic ugly sweater and beret

"Wow, I'm getting flashbacks," Stella said

"Me too. Except you looked a lot sexier in the dress," Bernard smirked.
"Oh, stop it," Stella said as she hit Bernard on the chest.
"How can I when I'm looking at the most beautiful woman I had ever laid my eyes on," Bernard said with a smirk before he pulled Stella in and kissed her. Just then, a spark flickered in the fireplace.
"What was that?" Stella said as she turned her head towards the fireplace.
"I don't know," Bernard shrugged. Stella shrugged and went to grab her purse but in the corner of her eye, she saw it flicker again.
"Okay, I definitely saw that," Bernard said. Just then a voice came in through the fireplace.
"Hello? Can you hear me?" came the voice.
"Okay, you heard that too, right?" Bernard asked. Stella nodded and the two adult elves walked over to the fireplace. They then saw a face flicker in the fire that had suddenly appeared.
"Hello? Bernard? Stella? Can you hear me?" the voice asked.
"Is that Betty?" Stella asked.
"Yes! Yes, it's me!" Betty said as her face finally became clear into the fire.
"Ah. Betty, good to see you. What can we help you with?" Bernard asked.
"And make it quick because we have to get to the Kribble Krabble," Stella said.
"I'm afraid you two aren't going to be able to make it to Kribble Krabble this year," Betty said.
"What do you mean?" Bernard asked.
"I need you two to go to Chicago. Go to Santa Scott and convince him that he wasn't supposed to retire, yet. Christmas is disappearing and so are elves. They're losing Christmas Spirit because of what Fake Santa Simon is doing," Betty explained. Stella froze. She then thought that maybe all those random sharp pains she would get in her chest were caused by elves disappearing. She thought that maybe it was her magic trying to tell her that something was wrong.
"I should've known," Stella said, quietly.
"Elves are disappearing? We need to go now! Thanks Betty. We'll take care of it," Bernard said.
"Please do it soon. The fate of Christmas lies in your hands. Here, take this," Betty said as she held out the orb in her hand. She tossed it and it appeared through the fire. Stella caught it right before the fire turned off.
"Okay. I'm gonna grab the clicker, you gather the kids and find someone to watch them," Bernard said.
"Already have someone on speed dial," Stella said as she put her phone to her ear.
"Hi. Curtis? We need you to do a little favor for us..."

As Stella and Bernard got the kids together, there was a knock on the door. Stella went to answer it.
"Curtis. Good to see you," Stella said with a warm smile. Curtis was a lot older now and looked like a mad scientist. His hair stuck up and he wore a plaid shirt, khaki pants and white lab coat.
"Stella, no offense but you look awful. Are you sick? Do you need me to invent a new elf-safe medicine for you?" Curtis asked.
"I'm fine, Curtis. Bernard and I need to leave for a few hours. We need you to watch the kids," Stella said.
"Watch the kids?!" Curtis panicked. "Don't you have like ten of them now?" Curtis asked.
"We have six plus the family dog. But, don't worry. They're good kids. All you have to do is take them to the Kribble Krabble and make sure they don't wander off. Holly-Joy and Nicholas should be fine since they're mini adults," Stella said.
"I better get paid for this," Curtis mumbled. Stella rolled her eyes as she allowed Curtis inside the house.
"Kids!" Stella called. All the kids came running down the stairs.
"We're ready, mom!" Nicholas yelled as he and his siblings tripped over each other as they got downstairs.
"There's been a slight change in plans, okay?" Stella said.
"What?" all the kids said in different tones.
"Oh, no. What did we do now?" Holly-Joy muttered to herself.
"It's nothing you guys did but your dad and I are gonna go fix something and Uncle Curtis is gonna take you guys to Kribble Krabble, okay?" Stella said.
"What do you need to fix?" Evangeline asked.
"Something broken," Bernard replied.
"What broke?" Christopher asked.
"Don't worry about it because we're gonna fix it," Stella said. "Now Curtis is gonna take you all to the Kribble Krabble and we'll be back soon, okay?" Stella reassured.
"But it's Christmas Eve," Joseph said.
"Yeah, you're always here all day," Evangeline said.
"I know but we'll be back soon before Kribble Krabble ends, okay?" Stella said as she looked between her kids. Holly-Joy gave her a suspicious look and Stella returned it with a stern stare.
"Ready to go, angel?" asked Bernard.
"Yeah. Curtis, pay attention and make sure you're counting six kids and a dog," Stella said as she pointed her finger at Curtis. Curtis gulped nervously and nodded. Bernard opened the front door and Stella walked out. Bernard closed the door behind him.
"Ready?" Bernard asked.
"Yeah, but can you teleport us? I'm too tired," Stella replied.
"Of course, angel," Bernard nodded as he took Stella's arm and the two disappeared in glittery dust.