Chapter 5: A Day with Family

I parked my car and Dad and I got out and entered the school. Mom and Neal were in the hallway just inside the entrance.
"Stella! Scott! Hey, You trimmed your beard," Mom said as she greeted us. She and my Dad hugged and I went and hugged Neal.
"There's my little spirit," Neal said as he gave me a hug. Ever since they found out my Dad was really Santa Claus, Neal has been a lot nicer and I now officially consider him my stepdad.
Dad and I switched and I went to hug mom and Neal went to hug my dad.
"Come here, big guy," Neal said with open arms. The two hugged. It was really nice to see that they were no longer at each other's throats.
"Whoa! Lost some weight there, huh? Slim fast?" asked Neal.
"You don't know how fast," Dad said with a nervous chuckle.
"You know, we should get going," said Mom.
"Oh, okay," Dad said as he put his arms around Neal and mom.
"How do you always know when there's a problem?" Mom asked as we walked through the hallway.
"I see you when you're sleepin'. I know when you're awake," Dad said.
"Which is a pretty frightening concept when you think about it," I chimed in.
"You know, Scott. We're really worried about Charlie. He keeps upping the ante. This time he defaced school property," Mom explained.
"It's a classic case of acting out," said Neal.
"It a cry for attention and I'm pretty sure we all know who's attention," I said as I looked over to my dad.
"I'm blaming myself for this," Dad said, glumly.
"Oh, come on, we're both his parents," Mom said in reassurance.
"Where is he?" Dad asked.
"He's waiting for us in Principal Newman's office," Mom replied.
"Principal Newman. There's something about that woman that makes me wanna deface public property," Dad said right as Principal Newman came into view. "Hey, hey, hey," Dad said briskly, which changed his tone.
"Hello, Mr Calvin. Laura, Neil. Stella, always a pleasure," Principal Newman said. I smiled and nodded to her in greeting.
"Miss Newman," Mom and Neal said in unison.
"Good to see you, Principal Newman," I said with a smile.
"Principal Newman," Dad said with a salute.
"I haven't seen you since the first time Charlie was in trouble," Principal Newman said to Dad. "It was usually your older daughter who stepped in for you," Principal Newman said as she stared at my dad.
"Well, I've been traveling for work, you know. Stella and I work in the same business and her job isn't as occupying as mine, so she has more time to step in when I can't," Dad explained.
"Oh. Well, maybe if you spent more time with your son there would be fewer problems," Principal Newman said. I bit my knuckles and winced.
"That one hit home," I said with a slight hiss.
"Maybe, but then I wouldn't spend so much time with you, which is always such a pleasure," Dad said, sarcastically. I looked between the two of them and shook my head. I had an invasive thought and I didn't feel like sharing it.
"Oh. A battle of wits. It's a shame you come unarmed. Excuse me," Principal Newman said as she scooted past us to stop a student who was skateboarding in the hallway.
"Ouch," Dad whispered. I snickered.
"I knew I always liked her," I said as I turned around and watched her perform her little psychology trick on the student.
"Good morning, Principal Newman," the student said, nervously as Principal Newman took his skateboard.
"Mr Picardo, I want you to look into my eyes. What do you see?" she asked. The student looked into her eyes, squinting.
"It's dark. And it's cold," the student replied.
"It's your future, Mr Picardo–keep this up and you will spend your life stabbing trash by the highway. Do I make myself clear?" Principal Newman said to the student.
"Yes," the student replied.
"So what are you gonna do?" asked Principal Newman.
"I'm going straight to third period geometry," the student said before he started to walk away.
"Have a nice trip," Principal Newman said. Principal Newman looked back at us and sighed before leading us into her office where Charlie was.
"Hey, buddy," I said to him. He pursed his lips in a half-smile as we all walked into the room.
"Hiya, sport," Dad said as he entered the room. Mom and Neal, and Charlie sat in chairs whilst Dad and I stood behind them in principal Newman's office. Principal Newman took out her computer and displayed a picture of the wall in the gym where there was graffiti of a mural that looked to be Newman= No Christmas. Next to the equal sign was a Christmas tree with a no sign on top of it.
"Not only is it an affront to authority but a blatant disrespect for property," Principal Newman said to us. My feeling if this sort of thing continues then I'll have no other recourse than to suspend–"
"Excuse me, excuse me," my Dad interrupted. "Is there a rest stop between here and the end of the lecture? Because I'm more interested in why this happened in the first place."
"So am I,' Principal Newman said. "Charlie, we're all worried about you. It feels like you're trying to get someone's attention," Principal Newman said as she looked over at my dad. "What's bothering you?"
Charlie pursed his lips and shrugged. I put my hands on his shoulders and slightly massaged them. I knew exactly what was bothering him but no one in this room would be able to understand except for me.
"Dr Miller?" Principal Newman asked as she looked to Neal.
"Neal," Neal said with a smile.
"Neil, any theories?" asked Principal Newman.
"Well, frankly I have several," Neal replied.
"Here we go," Dad said as he took a seat over by the file cabinets. "Let's just order a pizza."
I rolled my eyes as mom said;
"Scott, you're not helping."
"I was listening to a tape series on child development last night," Neil started but he was interrupted by the sound of my dad's head banging into the file cabinet.
"You know what the problem is? Excuse me, Neil," Dad interrupted as he stood back up. "It's four weeks until Christmas. That's a major holiday in December," Dad told Principal Newman as if she knew nothing about it.
"Oh," Principal Newman said sarcastically. I looked down and saw Charlie smirk.
"Have you noticed the hallways? Not a decoration, not a twinkle light, not an expression of the happiness and joy kids are supposed to be feeling this time of year. I mean, what kind of school are you runnin'?" Dad ranted.
"A public school, Mr. Calvin," Principal Newman asked. "A top academically rated public school in the district. That takes effort. And money. And spending any of that money on holiday decorations would take away from the things that truly matter. It was thanks to that money your daughter got that scholarship to that dream school of hers," Principal Newman said. I chuckled nervously, knowing well that I gave that scholarship to someone else that very Christmas.
"Forgive me, but I think holiday cheer really matters," said Dad. I then got an idea.
"Speaking of which, I know you never really decorate for the holidays, but I actually have some helpers of mine, working on decorating the school for free as of right now," I said as I felt my chest heat up.
"I'm sorry, Stella, I can't accept that," Principal Newman said. "Oh, it's already done," I replied. Principal Newman stared at me for a second. I didn't think she believed me, but wait until we leave her office.
"What are we going to do? Charlie, we are all really worried about–"
"Let me handle this. You know what you did is wrong. Right?" Dad interrupted.
"I guess so," Charlie said, blankly.
"There is no guessing. Guessing is gone. It was wrong what you did. And you're not gonna do it again. Promise me," Dad told Charlie.
"Okay," Charlie said with a shrug. I sighed and pinched the bridge of my nose with my thumb and index finger.
"There you go," Dad said as he threw up his hands. "He's good to his word, he won't do it again. Meeting is adjourned," Dad said dismissively. He started to walk away and Charlie started to stand up.
"It most certainly is not. Charlie," Principal Newman said sternly as she tried to stop them.
"You know what else? Here's a little donation," Dad said as he took money out of his pocket and placed it on the desk by the door. "Buy yourself a wreath."
Dad and Charlie walked out the door.
"Principal Newman, I'm so sorry," I apologized. "My dad is just stressed about work. We're working on donating toys to a whole bunch of families who can't afford it and we're afraid that children we're donating to in Australia are going to go without toys this year and so he's a little short tempered right now. And don't worry about the whole decorating thing, I have it covered. You may not believe me now, but take a look outside," I said as I gestured outside. Principal Newman looked at my mom and Neal before the three of them stood up. I led them outside where the hallways were decorated with holiday (not just Christmas) decoration. Tinsel was wrapped around the pillars in the hallway. Decorative stars hung from the ceiling. There were decorated Christmas trees around every corner, menorahs and kinaras were placed on each side on a section of lockers.
"Stella, this is too much. It needs to be taken down," Principal Newman said.
"No can do, Principal Newman. Just give it a week and see if student behavior has changed. If not, then I'll take it down," I told her.
"I–uh. Fine. But just for a week," Principal Newman said right before the bell rang. Students started coming out of their classrooms and their eyes widened with amazement. I smile and made my way through the hallway to catch up to my dad and Charlie who were already outside. Both Dad and Charlie were waiting by my car. I unlocked my car and Dad and Charlie got in. Dad was in the front seat and Charlie was in the back on the passenger's side.