Chapter 12: The Secret of Bethlehem

My packing schedule was split in half. I would spend Monday and Tuesday packing my things at mom's house, then Wednesday and Thursday with dad. Once I had finished packing at my mom's place, Bernard brought a moving truck. But, it wasn't just any moving truck. It was a moving truck that flew. Mom, Neal, and Charlie helped Bernard and I load the truck. It was one of those smaller moving trucks that didn't have as much space as a regular moving truck.
The things I packed were mostly essentials that wouldn't already be provided at the North Pole. I left my most of my clothes behind, my desk, and of course, my bed. I packed all my child-hood stuffed animals that I had kept in a bin for the longest time. I took some pictures that were framed, including the ones that were taken at graduation.
Once we finished packing, I took one last look at my room in my mom's house. I didn't have many memories of this house because this house belonged to Neal and Neal and mom had only gotten together two years ago a few months after mom and dad's divorce. The only good memories I had in this house was when it was me and Charlie alone while mom and Neal were out on a date night. But, I would let Charlie hang out in my room and we would jump around on my bed listening to our favorite artists. I had a particular taste for Michael Jackson's music. I was an 80s kid growing up so it worked. Charlie liked the Backstreet Boys and New Kids on the Block. The memories of that replayed in my head as I stared at my semi-empty room.

I heard sniffling behind me and turned around. It was my mom. She was crying. I looked at her nonchalantly. "I can't believe you're all grown up now," she cried.
"Well...not exactly. I'll never really grow up," I told her as I looked up and around my room.
"I wish I could've done better with you. Most of our arguments, you were right about. It was all about Charlie. I just didn't want to make the same mistakes with him like I did with you," mom said with a sniffle. I looked back at her as pity washed over my relaxed expression.
"Well, here's my advice. Let him still be a kid. Don't make him grow up too fast like I did," I said to her. Mom nodded.
"I'll try," she said. I shook my head.
"Don't try, do," I told her. "I grew up bottling all my feelings inside because I thought I had to hide them. Don't let Charlie do the same thing. Let him express his feelings towards things. And I hate to say it, but that includes believing dad is Santa Claus," I told her. Mom looked at me in surprise.
"Stella–"
"--I know it sounds crazy, but hear me out. We grow up believing our dads are our heroes. And I know Dad is looking a bit on the big and old side right now, but trust me. It'll all make sense in the end. Dad has no control over his body. It's all happening on its own. I've checked his medicine cabinet for any suspicious drugs or medicines he could've been taking to make this happen but nothing was found except several razors and brown hair dye. Every time he tries to put himself back to the way he was, it doesn't work. I bet you right now he's trying again just so he doesn't lose his visitation rights. He's trying, mom. The timing was just awful," I tried to explain to her in the calmest way I could. Mom said nothing, she just stared at me.
"I'm not telling you to allow them to continue the charade but, try not to take it to heart too much. I promise everything will make sense soon," I said to her.
"But, how soon? The whole thing is just scary. I feel like he's changing his appearance on purpose to make Charlie like him," mom said.
"I know and I understand your viewpoint on that but you have to listen to what other people have to say. Charlie isn't just saying all these things because Dad said so. And I can't explain it all right now but I promise that once it's that time, you'll learn the truth. In time everything that has ever worried you about Dad and Charlie, it'll all make sense, I promise. Just give it time. Allow dad to continue seeing Charlie. Don't listen to Neal all the time, you're allowed to think too. I feel like he takes charge of your mind sometimes and that's one reason why I don't like him all that much. But...just please. While I'm gone. Keep an open mind and an open heart. I promise, you'll see things in a whole new light," I said as I walked up to her. She just stared at me for a moment.
"You really have grown up," she said. I feel like everything I said went in one ear and out the other...again. I tried not to get upset about it considering that I was moving out for good and I guess that part was hard to sink in for her. She opened her arms out to me. I couldn't help but hug her back.
"I can't believe my little girl is going to college on the other side of the country," my mom said with a small sob.
"Try the world," I muttered before we broke the hug. She looked at me and tucked a loose strand of hair behind me. I heard a honk coming from outside.
"That would be Bernard," I said with a small chuckle. "I gotta finish packing up at Dad's place. I'll probably visit around Thanksgiving," I said as I turned off the light in my room and left the room. I headed downstairs where Neal and Charlie were playing a card game.
"Alrighty, men. Stella is leaving the building," I said. Charlie stood up so quickly, I could barely see that he was already up in front of me. He tackled me in a hug. I picked him up and held him at my hip.
"I hope Bernard trains you to be the best Elf there is," Charlie said to me.
"I'm sure he will, bubs. I'll make sure to stop by on Thanksgiving when dad is due back at the Pole, okay?" I whispered to him.
"I wish I could go with you," Charlie said, glumly.
"I know, buddy. But for now you gotta stay here with our parents and Neal. They're going to need someone to boss them around when I'm gone," I said to him. Charlie smiled and gave me another hug.
"I'm gonna miss you," Charlie said.
"I'm gonna miss you too, bubs," I said, giving him a tight squeeze. I then put him down.
"Take good care of him, while I'm gone, okay?" I told mom and Neal. They both nodded and Bernard honked the horn again.
"I gotta go," I said. I then rushed out of the door. "I'm comin'! I'm comin'! Jeez," I said as I opened the door to the moving truck and got in. "I was just saying goodbye," I said.
"You didn't have to go down memory lane, either. Sheesh," Bernard said as he started the car and started driving.
"Oh, shut up and keep your eyes on the road," I said as we pulled out of the driveway.