Chapter 40-Talks

Happy Reading :)

I approached the all too familiar car. I had done this often, usually with the thrill of getting away from my family, or sneaking out. This time I didn't want to sneak out, I wanted to sneak back in. I turned around and looked back at the house.

I saw the curtain move and then nothing. I wondered what was going on inside.

*Inside*

"Why the fuck would you let her go?" Marcus groaned.

"Is she in his car yet," Melvin said and opened the curtain.

"Give her privacy shithead," Greg said and shut the curtains.

"You and Felix have clearly lost your minds." Melvin said and shook his head.

"She's coming back soon." He said, like he was repeating a script.

"You don't even believe that."

*smack* to the back of Marcus' head. And the boys were off, wrestling and that was where we were when Lydia came back, an hour later, face red and puffy. 

*Damon's car*

"Hey," I said nervously.

"Hey." He said, and gave me an awkward side hug.

It was weird being in this car and not immediately being affectionate.

"I'm sorry,"

"No I'm sorry,"

Pause.

"I shouldn't have reacted like that, I was just surprised. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings."

"Thank you." I didn't know how to react to that.

"I just wasn't expecting you." He said looking morose, "I wasn't prepared for that."

"Prepared for what?" I had a knot in my stomach, I didn't like where this was heading.

"Talking to you? Seeing you? Telling you how I feel after you left and just kind of disappeared." He didn't make eye contact, it was clearly hard for him to express himself like this. 

"I'm sorry," I muttered.

"I know you are, I didn't mean to make you feel like shit. But I had this whole speech in my head of what I was gonna say, and then you show up, all tall and pretty, with your big eyes and curls staring at me. I just remembered how upset I was and how much I missed you, how beautiful you are." He cracked half a smile and looked at me with sad eyes. 

"What did you want to say? What were you preparing for all this time?" I didn't want to ask but I had to know what he wanted to say. 

"That I was proud of you. For standing up to your family and going away. That you looked badass doing it. That for once you did something you wanted unapologetically. Even if you were ditching me. Lydia you put you first, and I don't think you've done that ever. Even dating me, you thought you were doing what you wanted and rebelling against your family, but you were putting me first. I was letting you do that because we felt too good to let go. I was making you do that. I'm sorry."

"Oh," I was speechless. I didn't know how to respond, it wasn't what I was expecting. I don't know what I was expecting. He had been reflecting on our whole relationship while I was traipsing through New York with my friends and a shawarma in my hand. "What else did you want to tell me." 

"I wanted to grab you buy your cute ass face and tell you how mad I was everyday that you didn't text me or call me. How much I wish you did. How jealous I got seeing all your posts, with guys, with new friends."