Rushing Presence

Raven waved her hands through the air where the card had just been. "Did that just happen?," she thought, her heart racing from the little magical moment. Hearing the bells of the door ding as customers continued to leave, she let the thoughts of the letter leave her mind before she quickly began to buss the tables again.

She was sweating now as the last customer plopped the tip on the table and exited with a head nod goodbye. Raven's heart fluttered in anticipation as she began to calculate how much time it would take her to complete her nightly tasks. She glanced at the clock.

10:43 pm.

"Damn, it will take me about an hour to close up." She smiled to herself. Nothing really mattered. For once in her life, she finally had plans centered around her. She fluttered happily around the diner, cleaning as fast as she could. The silence was peaceful but she couldn't wait to dance the night away celebrating adulthood. She had had adult responsibilities for as long as she could remember but she finally had the title.

The sound of dripping water gently hit the sink as it fell from the cloth that she had just finished using. She sighed in relief as she placed the last of the dishes in their places. Glancing at the clock, she smiled happily realizing that she finished up a little faster than she had anticipated.

11:32 pm.

"I've got to hurry!" Excited that she finished all of her tasks earlier than expected, she fumbled with her apron as she headed for the door. Hitting the kitchen lights as she passed, she gave the lobby a once-over before locking the doors and leaving. "If I hurry, I'll catch the last bus!" she said loudly as she hurried to the bus stop near the diner. Allenville, Minnesota was so cold and foggy this time of year but Raven never really needed a jacket. She always wore her dark hair long and let its natural, bold ringlets fall around her temple. She wore it in a tight knot in the restaurant but she quickly let her mane free as the wisps of wind flicked at her ears as she walked briskly to the stop. "Such a lonely place, " she thought as she neared the little bench. The area was covered in trees and if you were not familiar with the place, you would easily overlook it. Tall pines and heavy hemlock trees left odd shadows on the ground and they dance to the rhythm of the wind. The sounds of the night owls and the bellows of the elk echoed into the night. Raven stared at the stars hoping to catch a glimpse of the moon hiding in the night clouds. "I wonder what's taking the bus so long, " she thought as realized that she had been waiting quite some time. Suddenly her heart sank.

Fuck.

It was Saturday. The last bus ran at 10 pm on Saturdays and on top of that, she had let her phone die and forgot to charge it because of all the commotion. "Ughh," she groaned aloud. Grabbing her things she stood up, angry with herself for not being more responsible. She glanced down the dark road leading to town. It was late and even though Allenville was such a small town, no one really traveled after dark. Not for fear of people, but the wildlife. Her heart pounded as she thought about some of the cases of people going missing along the road into Allenville but tonight, it was worth the risk. "I refuse to miss out on my own birthday party." Determination filled her heart as she tightened her shoelaces before she took off in a sprint down the dark road.

The wind felt colder as it whipped her dark tresses about her head as she ran down into the darkness. She felt surprisingly calm and she could feel her body heat rising as she picked up speed. "I should really start working out," she thought to herself as she notice how good it felt to push her body physically. The trees around her blurred as she continued to push her speed, but her vision seem sharper than ever. She felt as if she could clearly see her destination in front of her, making a sharp left turn with ease as she approached the first street leading to her apartment. She stopped abruptly. The hairs on her arms raised in anticipation. Her senses were heightened. The slight sound of a leaf cracking in the distance. She turned her head sharply in the direction of the sound almost as quickly as the sound had been made. She could feel it... a presence. "Show yourself," she heard herself say in a voice so low she almost scared herself. Her blood was rushing. She knew that she should feel some type of fear but instead she wanted whatever was hiding, to give it their best shot. "NOTHING was stopping her from getting to her party," she thought angrily. The world around her seemed to hold its breath as she waited, adrenaline coursing through her veins. And then, without warning, she took off in a rush toward her apartment, her determination overpowering any sense of fear. The wind howled in her ears, the darkness around her blurring into a sea of shadows. A tingle in her spine let her know that something was following her, but she had already decided that she didn't care. She stopped ever so often, telling whatever it was, to show itself but not interested in waiting, she continued to run forward. Bright lights approached and she darted out of the way. She could hear sounds of laughter and music and she slowed realizing she was nearly in her yard. "Wow," she said in amazement. There were cars parked around the neighborhood and she could smell the delicious smell of roasted meats. "All this for me?" She admired the illuminating a scene of celebration. The intoxicating scent of roasted meats and the sounds of laughter filled the air, the warm glow of the gathering contrasting with the cool night. Her heart swelled with wonder and gratitude.

"RAAAAAYY!," a familiar voice yelled. The feeling of relief and joy filled her heart as she turn to look at her dear friend Janice. "I already have the perfect outfit picked for you. Come on!" Janice motioned to Raven for her to come up to the house. She was dressed beautifully as ever, holding a red plastic cup, she knew was filled with bourbon and coke. "Hurry up!"

"Okay! I'm coming!" Raven yelled from a distance. The loud crack of a branch made her remember that something had been following her. Frowning, she quickly ran closer to the crowds of people, sure that whatever it was wouldn't dare come that close. Abandoning her caution, she embraced Janice as she reached the entrance to their apartment, snatched the cup from her hands, and quickly finished the contents.

"Goodness Birthday Girl!" Janice said, laughing as her young friend frowned at the nasty aftertaste of the bourbon and coke. " You're so sweaty. And girl, slow it down" She took the cup and grabbed Raven's hands. "Let's get you washed up, tonight is yours." Raven grinned but her senses were still tingling from her encounter. There was something lingering, something mysterious and enigmatic, hinting at a world beyond the mundane. As she stepped further into the heart of the festivities, she couldn't shake the feeling that her life was about to take an unexpected turn, setting her on a path she could never have imagined.