Sixteen - April Come She Will

Amory and I hadn't spoken since the night of homecoming. After the kiss in the parking lot, he left, and he's been avoiding me since. It's not only me, but my friends too. He started hanging out more with his teammates and going out to parties. I only know this because of what I've heard.

It makes sense. I was a dick to him, and then made out with him because of my frustration. I wasn't even certain he was gay, but given that he didn't beat me up—not like he actually could—he might be. And I'm not even gay, so why did I even do that?

Actually, that's a lie. I knew why.

I've wanted to do that for a long time now.

I don't know why it's taken so long to admit that.

"Apollo, guess who's invited to Blake's Halloween party?" Mei said, smiling as she sat down next to Lee. Lee moved his lunch tray away from her so that she wouldn't pick at his food.

"You?" Lee said, uninterested.

"Nope. Us!" She said.

"Why?" I asked.

"Blake said that we could go...It's probably because Levi and him are friends, so we're cool by association."

"Yeah, no." I shook my head, moving my rice around the lunch tray.

"Come on,"She whined.

"Levi doesn't even talk to us anymore. Give it up, he's not our friend. Apollo, was a quick stop on the road of friendship." Lee said, scrunching his brows. "It's over now, so quit trying."

"Amory is our friend!" Mei exclaimed.

"No, he's not. He's found his crowd. Just give it up." Lee said, pointing his fork at her.

"What's up with you two?" Mei asked.

"Mei, There are no hard feelings. We're just not those types of people. Our group is a fearsome foursome, not a fivesome anymore. Stop trying to replace him. " Lee muttered. Mei shook her head, picked up her lunchbox, and dashed off.

"Lee..."

"What? She's been super annoying lately," he said.

"You're not gonna go talk to her?" I asked. Lee ignored me by continuing his math homework.

I trailed after her, peering down the hallways. I jolted to a stop once I heard sniffling coming from the girls' bathroom. I stood at the entrance with my ear pressed against the door. I looked down both ways of the corridor, ensuring that no one would catch me entering the girls' bathroom.

"Mei?" I whispered into the bathroom, peeking my head in.

"Go away," she said. I could tell by the rasp in her voice that she was crying.

I murmured, "Mei-Mei."

"A-Apollo," she stammered before she started to cry. "Why is he so mean to me?"

I walked into the bathroom, and there she was, sitting on the floor with her knees pressed against her chest. Her head was hidden between her knees as her hands fell to her sides. I sat down next to her, wrapping an arm around her as she continued crying.

"Lee hates me. He never wants to hang out anymore, and he always says things that make me feel like crap."

"He doesn't hate you, " I assured. "He's stressed out and even a little sad."

"Sad? Lee is emotionless. He's never cried, not even when Jackson died." Mei said, sniffling.

"You don't know that."