Chapter 40: A Strong Man Breaks

------------Hazel's POV: -------------

"Still no sign of her? None?" I asked desperately, searching the face of the poor camper who'd walked into the big house.

They only looked down, holding their sword tighter.

"It's fine, I'm sorry for the pressure." I said, trying my best to keep the disappointment out of my voice.

They nodded, turning and leaving me in silence. I silently cursed to myself, rubbing my face with my hands as my curly hair covered my face. As the light disappeared a flash of Percy falling appeared in front of my eyes, her teary smile haunted me.

I let out a small sigh as I lowered my hands, placing them on the table in front of me. We'd had parties near Gotham on lock down and by the looks of it, it might've been a one-time thing. Percy hadn't been seen since.

After she'd fallen, we'd looked for her, Percy had always managed to get out of tricky situations like this, so we'd had a little hope and, in a way, I guess we were rewarded.

But had we lost Percy?

Sure, she'd turned up alive but at what cost. She didn't even remember Rachel.

"Mama?" I turned to see a little figure in the door, their small hand placed gently against the wooden door frame.

"Oh, Elaine," Her face formed a small smile as she ran into my arms, a feeling of warmth spread through me as she wrapped her arms around me.

Elaine was my oldest daughter, though she looked more like Frank than me.

She stepped back with a concerned look. "Have you found Aunty Percy yet?" She asked, her eyes seeming to look straight through me. I pursed my lips and shook my head.

"No, Percy seems to be a little too good at hide and seek." I replied, ruffling her hair.

Elaine got a sadder look but nodded. "Alright, but she'll come home soon, right?" I nodded, allowing a small smile to cross my lips as reassurance filled her face. "Alright, by mama! I'm gonna go hang out with Mia!" With a quick turn she was out of sight.

I let out a short sigh, sitting back in my chair. Living at camp half-blood had been nice, sure it was different then New Rome, but I wasn't one to complain. The seven as well as close friends of Percy had decided to stay in camp, figuring it'd be better to have a centralized hub rather than smaller unorganized groups, though that seemed to be happening naturally as people from New Rome and camp half-blood alike were going off on their own expeditions looking for Percy.

I held back from rubbing my temples as I turned to the computer. I'd been trying to keep updated on anything that may pertain to Percy including strange events like a building collapsing or an awkwardly timed rainstorm. Things that normal people consider unlucky or inconvenient but were actually Percy's awful luck unfolding in all its glory. So far, all weird things had been just strange coincidences.

A sudden knock threw me from my search as I turned back to see Jason, a welcoming smile was on his face. Lately he'd been trying to wear his glasses more, claiming it was because of his bad eyesight but just about everyone knew it was because he looked a lot more approachable when he wasn't accidentally glaring at anything and everything.

"Hey"

"Hey" He replied, walking into the room as he took a seat across from me. "Anything new?"

I shook my head, allowing my head to fall into my hand. "Not a thing. All leads have turned up empty since that party." Jason nodded. I'll be the first to admit that Jason had always been better at being more closed off then I was when it came to emotions, it was nearly ingrained in him I suppose, but the night Percy had gone missing, well that was a different story.