Chapter 5: Holy Memory cookies

---------------Bruce's POV: --------------------

"I'm still not sure why you're doing this," Dick said, helping to wipe down the final table. After a swift cleaning he turned to me, hand off in the air and holding a slightly gray towel. "I mean sure the other night was a bust but whatever, this is just going to make things difficult."

Today was the day of my hiring process, and a couple people had already sent in their applications, it was only a matter of time before they began showing up. I had told Dick and he'd immediately ran over claiming he wanted to be a final judge over the caretaker of his father and yet all I was getting was complaints. I'm starting to believe he'd had alternative motives.

"Alfred and I believe this is the best course of action. Not only will they give me easier escape during parties but they may also actually be able to help out, Alfred is going to start needing help soon you know." I could see Dick's shoulders visibly tense, his face gaining an uncomfortable expression.

"I know..." He started, I could physically see him trying to create a rebuttal. "It's just there's already so much going on around here, what, with Duke being new and Damien finally starting to acclimate into normal society" Dick took a deep breath, letting it all out in one huff. "What if this leads to greater consequences? I mean if they find out-"

"If they find out then we deal with it, but unless that happens we will not be discussing it." I turned around, finishing up the makeshift wait room we'd prepared in the main hall.

I didn't hear anything behind me for a minute till suddenly footprints made their way out of the room and into the halls.

I turned around to see Dick had left. I felt bad, I knew the idea of death around the family was a sore topic but it needed to be discussed, especially in times like this. I wasn't comfortable with the idea of a bodyguard but if Alfred said I needed one then fine, it was the least I could do to repay him.

"Master Bruce" I turned to see Alfred come in with a tray of steaming cookies and a pot of coffee. "Is everything alright? I spotted Master Richard going towards the gym, he seemed a bit agitated to say the least. "

I groaned, running my fingers through my hair as I turned my gaze to the ground momentarily. "Yeah, it's okay. It'll just take some getting used to it is all." I looked up to find Alfred with a sympathetic smile, his eyes crinkling towards the end in a familiar way.

"I understand, but it should be better for everyone." I nodded, walking forwards as I took the items from his hands. Gently, I set them down on the table Dick had cleaned, rearranging everything so that it looked presentable. "Fine work master Bruce." Alfred said, walking beside me so that he was in my peripherals. "When they arrive I shall send them straight to your office." I nodded.

"Thank you Alfred, I'll be waiting in the study." Alfred nodded, turning back to the table as he made minor adjustments.

Rather than wait around to see all my work re-done I decided to just go wait. Allow myself some peace before I have to go through all these interviews.

As I walked up the stairs I spotted Damien walking down the hall, his green hoodie still looking a bit big on him but nothing too large. His eyes were piercing and I could tell he wasn't happy. I'd say he took the news the worst out of everyone.

"Hey Damien" I said quietly, stopping to give him a small wave.

He glanced my way, his cold look saying enough. He didn't want to talk. Instead he turned down the stairs, presumably to join Dick in the training room. They were very vigilant when it came to training.

With my conversation rejected I headed to my study, finally ready to handle the day.

------------------ Percy's POV: --------------------