Hakeem

I've been home all week,resting and taking so many pills I felt like I was an amusement park goldfish that was being shaken to death. I didn't feel too good,momma knew this but let her tell it,"all these drugs are here to help you"
I'm tired. I mean for once in my life I'd like to be a normal teenager,I wanna get sooo wasted I have to crawl home. I wanna goof around for hours and not give a shit what my momma thinks.I wanna eat exotic treats and not end up in the ER.
I scratched my arm again,it's just my allergies. I'm feeling great. The mole I discovered a while ago is exactly that,just a mole.
*Ring ring*
Hakeem?why was he calling?
"Uh hi?"
:Oooooh you won't believe what I just saw!!
"Don't yell, I can hear you just fine you know."
:Right,sorry Dolores Madrigal (Snickers)
"Hakeem what do you want?"
:I was just checking on you...and it seems I was right to do so,where have you been and why is your voice shaking? Mel are you okay?
"Yeah I'm okay..
:Don't lie,I know you ain't been in school. Is it because of Kyrie?
"Man you know papi would never let me stay home 'cause of a boy. And what he did?"
:Nothing I was just aski...
I squeaked when I felt my skin break under my nails,and warm blood spreads over my arm.
"Shii shii shii,I gotta go,Bye!"
:Wait I...

I scrambled to get the blood away from my hard copy of pride and prejudice,opting instead to have it drip into my mom's white rug. "Melanie!!!"
"Mama?!" I yelled back,sticking plasters over the irritated area on my skin messily and rushing downstairs to find Hakeem giving my momma that sweet innocent smile he gave every adult we've come across.
He looked different,like we weren't the same height anymore and his clothes were less taken care of.
"Ma?"
"Hakeem came to see you and I didn't know if you'd want anyone in your room. Ohh and he brought brownies!"she eyed him excitedly,then looked to me with a face that screamed concern.
"Right- we're gonna head up now"

"Have you been eating?" My words came out in a shaky breath as I noticed his eyes skimming over the drops of blood on the floor and in the carpet, he never did like blood,or pain.
"Lanii,you know you can tell me everything right?like why you haven't been in school and why there's so drugs on your table...are you okay?" His eyes were sincere as he stared right into my eyes,or through them. it was as though he was reliving his past through my eyes and I could almost hear it,the fighting,the shouting and the gunshots. His home has been a troubled one and he moved around a lot,skipping school to go work at ta'Eddies on a regular,he apparently paid him well and kept him and Storm fed. "Storm was sick-so we spent money on his hospital bill.but I'll find a plan for food when I get home... You been ayt though?" He said slowly,like he was having a hard time forming words.
I felt dizzy,my arms grasping anything within reach for support and I felt him wrap his hands around me gently and pull me over to my bed. He made me lay there, seemingly understanding and unspoken truth between us-my body was giving out-"I'll come back tonight-"
"Don't go before I fall asleep" I barely whispered,holding onto his shirt for dear life as he looked around thoughtfully and nodded his head.