1

"Kyler, you ready?" I hear my mom call from downstairs. I roll my eyes at her lack of patience, but nevertheless hurry downstairs.

"Please stop rushing me," I tell my mom as I walk into the kitchen, joining her.

"It's not everyday my only son turns 18," She tells me holding back tears. I roll my eyes and laugh.

"Do you have any idea who your mate will be?" She asks with a smile. I just shake my ead. I honestly have no idea. I've never had a girlfriend, not for lack of options. Almost every girl throw themselves at me, I just have more important things to worry about. A few months ago I was officially crowned as alpha.

"Did you know Dom will be there?" My mom asks me with a smile. I roll my eyes and scoff.

"Just because you're all buddy buddy with his mom, doesn't mean you can force us to be friends," I tell her. Me and Dom have a long history. And not a good one. Our families have been friends and for as long as I can remember me and Dom have hated each other. It's only gotten worse since we are now both alphas of our packs. I look up at the microwave and see I have thirty minutes until my ceremony starts.

"I'm driving separate," I inform my mom as my dad walks out ready to go.

"Why would you drive separate?"

"I need some time by myself." She nods. After a quick goodbye I walk out to my car and sit down. I take a deep breath and think to myself. I wonder if I'll find my mate today.

Some do and some don't. Some don't find their mate in another pack until years after they turn 18. I start the short drive to the meeting room in the pack house. That's another thing I'm looking forward to. The day I turn 18 I get to move into the alpha suit at the pack house. That's another thing my mom found to cry about. Me moving out. I turn off my car and walk into the house, and go straight to the meeting room. I see a small crowd already forming. I walk behind the podium and see I have two minutes until it starts. I must've sat in my car for longer than I thought. I hear my dad start to introduce me when I'm consumed by sudden nerves.

"Please welcome Alpha Kyler," I hear my dad say, signaling me. I walk out and smile at everyone. I look towards the elders standing on the side waiting to assist us. After I thank the pack and others for coming the elders come up and start their chants. I ignore their words, eager for them to finish. As they come to an end I watch as the ceiling glows, making me able to find my mate. At that moment I'm consumed by a breathtaking smell. I quickly snap my head up and am met with the familiar eyes that hold a different spark. Dom must sense it as well because I see his hand to his head in a defeated manner. He just turns around and casually walks out not drawing any attention. Except mine.

"Okay, you are all dismissed," My dad says not thinking I found my mate. Without saying anything I jump off the stage and jog out the door wanting to beat the crowd. I snap open the door and quickly look down the hall. I spot Dom leaning against the wall.

Dom's POV

I see Kyler walk out, so I go over to him and give in to the urge to kiss him. I feel my lips push against his harshly, causing him to push me back. My wolf, Logan, gets angry at the this. I grab his wrist and pull him outside. By the time I look up at him, his eyes are red, signifying his wolf is taking over.

"You don't get to kiss me whenever, and you sure as hell don't get to drag me around like I'm your bitch," He tells me with a snarl. I feel my wolf take over as I shift. His does the same. That's one thing about alphas. They are dominate and don't like getting told what to do. I watch as Kyler's paw come hurling towards my face. After I quickly dodge it, I send a surprise blow to his jaw. His head snaps to the side. Logan feels bad for a second, and Kyler's wolf, Jacob, takes the opportunity to punch my eye. I run at him and tackle him. His teeth brush against my shoulder where his mark will go, but instead of feeling pleasure I feel his teeth sink into my skin. I get so wrapped up in the fight I didn't even hear the crowd forming.