2.18

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN ALL THINGS COME TO AN END

***

"IF WE DISTRACT SAM'S PATROL THERE COULD BE ENOUGH TIME FOR YOU TO GET FAR ENOUGH AWAY TO HUNT WITHOUT RISK." 

Jacob and Paul had recruited the vampires into the living room while Bella was sleeping on the couch. She had gained a lot more color back into her pale skin after drinking the blood, Maisie was sure if they kept the process up the human would be fine. Just a few more days for her to get better and they'd be ready for whatever the baby threw at them. 

"How will you make sure they don't notice us leaving?" Carlisle crossed his arms across his chest, he was much more accustomed to going days without feeding but his worry for his children was growing exponentially. And his strength would need to be in tip top shape for when Bella needed him.

"Only a few of you will be able to go at once, if the pack notices people missing they could attack prematurely" Jacob cleared his throat, "I was thinking Dr. and Mrs. Cullen," he pointed at them and then turned to Emmett, "And then in case anything goes wrong the big guy here would be able to step in." 

Emmett smiled toothily and nodded in agreement as Jacob continued, "I doubt they'll notice three missing people while we're distracting them." 

"We'll need to go as soon as possible," Esme stepped closer to Carlisle and wrapped her arms around his broad shoulders, "We don't know how much longer the pregnancy lasts."

Maisie nodded in agreement, "Carlisle needs all of his strength in case something goes wrong."

"Nothing will go wrong." Rosalie reminded her with a tense smile. 

"I think Maisie should go too," Paul pipped up from beside Jacob, "If the wolves attack having the strongest at full strength will be best. Her mind control will be better if she's been fed, one more person won't make a difference."

Edward immediately agreed, "You should all go tonight."

"We'll try and be quick," Esme glanced over at Jacob, "If anything goes wrong we'll come back immediately."

"And be careful," Maisie said locking eyes with Paul, he looked exhausted his patrols were getting longer in order to keep Seth away from the brunt of the work, she glanced over at Jacob warily, "Both of you, if the wolves don't take the bait don't instigate a fight."

Jacob smirked, and out of the corner of her eye Maisie could see Edward smirking at whatever the wolf was thinking, "Don't worry about us, just suck some animals dry and get back here."