2.16

CHAPTER SIXTEEN TOGETHER

***

MAISIE HAD HOPED THAT WHEN JACOB AND PAUL FLED NO FURTHER DRAMA WOULD COME FROM THE QUILEUTE'S. 

Any issues that would stem from her keeping the information from Paul were something she could deal with on her own. And something she was sure he would understand if he gave her a chance to explain herself, and realize that she was right to be worried about what would happen. 

But of course nothing could go perfectly for them. Something that Maisie was starting to learn more and more everyday she spends with the Cullen's.

Paul and Jacob were barely even gone an entire hour before they came crawling back through the woods, this time with Seth Clearwater in toe. Maisie had immediately stopped what she was doing at the sight of them heading towards the house. It was obvious by their tense posture  that something was wrong, she glanced over towards Edward who had opened up the screen door and stepped out to hear what the young wolf had to say. Maisie listened carefully to what Jacob had to say, "Get ready." she tensed at his tone of voice and stepped out onto the balcony with Edward, she made direct eye contact with Paul, "They're coming for Bella."

A feral growl ripped from Maisie throat before she could control it, there was visible surprise on Paul's face at the sound but neither of them were given a chance to speak before Edward did, "They're not gonna touch her."

Jacob nodded once, "Agreed."

Maisie watched the stare between the wolf and vampire with a mixture of amusement and annoyance. A stupid little power plat was happening between the two still despite the agreement they had just come too. One last nod between the two and Edward was turning on his heel back inside the house, Maisie stopped him before he could fully enter by putting a hand on his arm, "Tell Rose i'll have to take my shift with Bella a little late, I want to talk to Paul."

Edward smirked a little at that, and for the first time since the wedding she saw a bit of her old friend back. Maisie could only hope that it lasted, "Good-luck with that."

Once he shut the door behind him Maisie swung herself over the railing and landed in the dirt, she'd forgone putting shoes on and cringed as she felt the leaves sticking to her dark socks. Jacob and Seth took a few steps back as she approached Paul. But before she could say anything again she was interrupted.  

Apparently everything was against them reconnecting.

It was a surprise that none of the supernatural creatures had sensed the incoming presence, but Maisie chalked it up to them being distracted by the looming threat that the new wolf, who she assumed was Leah Clearwater jogged up next to the small group, "Man, I can smell them from all the way out here!" her dark eyes darted towards Maisie, "Or maybe that's you."