2.17

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN NO TO THE UNIVERSE

***

MAISIE FELT PRETTY CONFLICTED BEING SURROUNDED BY THE QUILEUTE WOLVES. 

Having them around really added to the tenseness in the air surrounding the vampires, more specifically Edward and Rosalie. Rosalie couldn't put her grudge against the shifters down for even a second, despite the fact that they were being mostly helpful. The Clearwater's and Paul spent most of their days and nights patrolling the woods surrounding the Cullen house watching for Sam's pack. While Jacob....well he was just Jacob. The bane of everyone's existence at the moment. 

Everyone but Bella's that is, the human snuggled up against him at every possible moment. He radiated a heat that none of the vampires were able too, something that really put Edward on edge. Though Maisie could hardly blame him, watching his fiance cuddle up next to the man that had once been his greatest competition...she would be pissed too.

Though Jacob didn't seem to have nearly as big of a problem with Edward as he did with her. A part of him seemed to be able to completely ignore Edward's presence, but Maisie seemed to have somehow caused him the upmost offense. And she was getting sick of it. There was basically no escaping him. She was around Bella most of her day, and when he wasn't doing his part of the patrolling he was with the human so they had no choice but to be around each other. And he did not make the situation easy for either of them. 

He made every snarky comment in the books, any time Bella made a request...no matter how infrequent they were, he would ask under his breath (...though knowing full well that she could hear everything he said...), "Think she can do that without screwing everything up?"

"Can she do it without screwing everything up...?"

"Surprised she hasn't sunk her teeth into us by now...?"

"How can you even stand to be in the same room as her...?"

It was driving Maisie up a wall, she hated the wolf just as much as he hated her but she wasn't whispering snide comments every opportunity she got. In fact she was bending over backwards to make sure the human he loved was staying alive and healthy (...as possible...) while she carried her impossible baby. She apparently couldn't even be in the same room as him without offending him in some way, unless Paul was with her. Maisie immediately noticed that the snide remarks stopped whenever he was in the room with them.

Just after Bella asked for another pair of socks to cover her ice cold feet, Jacob leaned in to whisper something into the humans ear Maisie snapped, "Jacob do you think you could come help me?"

"You need help getting socks from a dresser?" the shifter raised his eyebrows and even Bella looked pretty confused. 

"Yep," Maisie grit her teeth, "Come. On."