23.

FINNICK was seated in a jet and was going over the Capitol perimeter. Jackson wasn't able to come as he had to fill in for Katniss as the distraction. Back at District 13 Katniss, Haymitch and the others were watching in anticipation. The entire team was hoping that they wouldn't be shot out of the sky by Capitol ammunition.

As they passed over it with no trouble everyone sighed in relief. They started packing up gear and making sure everything was working properly. The jet manoeuvred towards the tribute where the captives were being held.

Finnick placed his mask onto his face, waiting. Grenades were shot onto the glass roof and they hooked rope to the top of the jet and lowered themselves inside.

Using the red light of his gun, Finnick looked around before landing on the ground, seeing the knocked out peacemakers. The group advanced towards a door, throwing another grenade inside.

One man kicked the door open and they descended the stairs searching around. A door stood at the end of the corridor and they opened it.

Inside was a bunch of medical supplies. A bright light flashed and Finnick winced as he was blinded by the night vision goggles.

On the other side, Katniss was worried.

"Beetee?"

"I'm loosing 'em," Beetee responded.

"Powering back up," Coin said.

People started talking and Katniss had no idea what was going on but all she knew was Coin may make them come back and she was not risking not getting Peeta back, "Broadcast me. If Snow's watching maybe he'll let the signal in if he sees me. Put me on the air so he can see me."

"Yes," Heavensbee said, "Yes."

Coin hesitated before turning to the others, "Put her on."

"Can we do this? Can we still get in?" Haymitch asked. And just like that everyone was rushing around and setting up.

☾☾☾☾☾☾

The strike team had come back online and they were walking around the room and towards a door hidden in the back. They stormed through the door and found the cells. Going farther they found the white-walled cells with the glass at the front.

Sitting in the cells was both Johanna and Peeta. Finnick ran up to the former.

"You stay away from me you sick bastards!" Johanna screamed. She kept screaming profanities until Finnick pulled off his mask.

"Jo. Johanna, it's me. Finnick," Finnick said and Johanna breathed in relief.

"So you couldn't come sooner?" Johanna joked hoarsely. Finnick laughed and opened the cell. Looking over at the others he saw them releasing Peeta, who was trying to fight them off.

He looked around for Lilith worried, "Where's Lilith?"

"I don't know they took her earlier."

Finnick's eyes filled with worry, "Gale, stay with her. I'm going to look for Lilith I'll meet you on the roof." Gale nodded and walked over to Johanna and Finnick ran off.

Running along the corridors, Finnick opened up every door he saw on the way, eager to find the woman he loved. He didn't know what he was going to do if the Capitol had killed her. He didn't even want to think of that possibility.

Opening another door he breathed in relief. Inside the pristine room, Lilith laid on an equally pristine white laid back chair. Hovering over her was a large pointy machine. Around her head was some kind of helmet. Thin spikes dug into her head and three dots from the machine above appeared on her forehead.

She seemed to be in only a semi-conscious state and she was muttering the same words over and over.

"I'm a killer nothing more."

☾☾☾☾☾☾

☾☾☾☾☾☾

In Lilith's mind, she was back in the arena. It wasn't her games or the Quarter Quell but she was there.

She knew that it wasn't real but it still felt it. She remembered small details of the outside world. She remembered the man, Levitt, with small markings on his face, that was nice to her when the Peacemaker dragged her into this new room.

She remembered how he pulled up a hologram of her friends' experiences in this machine and their screams of terror. She remembered Johanna's vivid screams as her interrogator drilled her mind for information, almost leaving her dead.

She remembered the details of her life and her relationships with the people in the virtual reality games. She had killed most of the people already including Ivette, her sister Nina and her brother Jacob; all three of which had told her the same words;

You're a killer. Nothing more.

It repeated in her head endlessly to the point where she muttered it while trudging through the virtual forest. She was suddenly shoved to the ground and Finnick stood over her. Her mind seemed to work on its own and she started attacking him.

Slashing her katana, which seemed to materialise in her hands, the two fought. The battle was at a stalemate as they both were skilled fighters with their respective weapons until Lilith caught him off guard by swiping at his stomach.

The gaping wound gushed with blood and Finnick dropped to his knees. She took a step towards him, finishing him off by sliding his own trident across his throat. As his body fell limp Lilith came back to her senses to see what she had done.

She choked on a sob as she collapsed next to him; trying desperately to revive him. Salty tears rolled down her face as she sobbed.

Lilith felt her world shake before a bright light erupted in front of her eyes. Blinking them for a minute she saw Finnick above her.

"Lilith?"

"Finny?"

"Yes, darling. It's me," Lilith broke down and Finnick immediately hugged her. He didn't mind that they had to leave soon, he was just happy that she was okay and wanted to hold her.

Lilith pulled back as red angry lights flashed above them.

"We have to leave," Finnick spoke hurriedly.

"I'm fine. I want to get out of this hellhole," Lilith stood and Finnick wrapped his arm around her shoulders to support her.

Author's Note

Hello, lovelies. Please read my other books if you like Klaus Mikaelson or Steve Rogers. Please also follow my Pinterest (which is in the banner below) to see my upcoming book covers and aesthetics.

 Please also follow my Pinterest (which is in the banner below) to see my upcoming book covers and aesthetics