20. Vacations and Revelations

Make sure to follow me (but don't feel obligated) to be notified (if you push notifications on) of any more stories I'll be publishing. On that note, if you're bored of waiting for updates on this book, feel free to check out my other stories.

I also recently watched The Wrong Missy on Netflix (for, what, the ninth time?), so the Lauren Lapkus-and-David Spade-mood is still fresh in my mind. I highly recommend watching it -- it's really funny. (Not a promotion)

Cheesy title to go with a cheesy (and short) chapter. Just a little kick in the teeth for you guys, really :).

"A... what?" Irene quirked a brow, the frame of her black glasses lifting to show it.

"A vacation!" Mavis repeated, smiling.

Irene and Griffin shared a dubious look. They both held their respective suitcases and a duffel bag each.

"Drac..." Griffin said slowly, "our Drac... wants a vacation?"

"That's a little out of character," said the half-vampire, scrunching his nose, before adding with a small chuckle embedded in her tone: "Dontcha think?"

"He wants a vacation?" parroted Griffin.

"Yes! Well-" Mavis reeled back, tapping her chin for a second; "-he said he's been really stressed with running the hotel, so I think a vacation would do him good?"

"And he's... agreeing?" came the dry response.

"It's a surprise!" proclaimed the vampire. "All the guys are coming!"

"We have a flight to catch," Griffin diligently reminded, "We're goin' to Hawaii!"

"And then Scotland to check up with the Loch Ness Monster! And eat haggis!"

"Speak for yourself."

Irene checked the ticking watch on her wrist. "Well... not anymore we're not." She soon sighed. "Ugh, I coulda gotten us there as fast as I could suck a sheep dry!"

"Reney, honey," Griffin said, shaking his tilted-forward head, "no one here gets that."

Irene rolled her eyes at her newly-wed husband. "Say, Mavis, where is this vacation?"

"The Bermuda Triangle," replied the young vampire.

"The Bermuda-- what do you, er, think... Griffin?" queried Irene.

"A honeymoon's a honeymoon," he replied, "as long as it's with you," he lowered his voice to a whisper: "I don't really care where we're going."

"Great!" Mavis poofed into a bat and flew out of the window. "See you guys later!"

"You'd care if it was one of our parents' houses," Irene grinned with an eyebrow quirked, only half-joking.

"Ah-ha," Griffin gave a sarcastic, ongoing laugh*, "haha...ah-ha-ha-- hilarious." He had drawn out the word with a guttural croak of sorts, averting his gaze.

"Hey, we'll be like that eventually. Well..." she turned away, "you'll be, anyway."

Griffin's brows knitted together and one of his hands met Irene's left shoulder. "We'll figure that out when we come to it.

Irene smiled despite herself, staring at him with gently furrowed brows and half-lidded eyes.

Griffin noticed pretty quickly, and gave an obliquely-turned forward look. "..What?"

That was it. Griffin was pulled into a hug so tight by his wife, that he was almost struggling to breathe. "Reney- what- why- I- ho- Reney!"

"I'm not ready to let go, at least not yet," she loosened her grip just by a little bit, allowing coherency again.

"Uh... figuratively, or literally?"

"Both," she nuzzled into him, "just a bit of both."