XXIII. "It's a date."

XXIII.

After a couple of weeks in school I was already ready for the summer. Things were stressful at home, because Chance was never really there whenever I was there , and I was never there when he was.

"Why do you need two jobs?" I asked him one night. We were cuddled together under the covers. It was a Saturday night and it was kinda chilly in the condo.

"For Janice. I want to give her the world." He said lowly into my hair. My back was facing him, while he caressed my hips.

"Why can't we give her the world?"

He sighed and kissed my neck. "Because we isn't promised to last 18 years, baby. I wish it worked that way, but it doesn't."

I didn't respond. I didn't know how. He had a point. Love doesn't have an expiration date, but it surely doesn't last forever.

-

  Since that first day back I had to keep my eye out for Bridget. Every corner I had turned she was in Chance's face, giggling. Not even a real laugh, like a high pitch squeal. Chance isn't even all that funny. What the fuck.

Today I swore to myself that if I saw her talk to him again I was going to put her in a choke hold. The bell rung and my lunch period started. The girls met me at my locker, and asked if I wanted to go to the cafe, where Chance worked, to get something to eat. I agreed, only because I knew Chance was working there today. He didn't have anymore main classes, all electives, so the principal agreed that he could co-op.

I saw Bridget on the steps and I gave her a quick glare as Roni went on about something that happened at a Christmas party. I clutched the hem of my beanie as the wind began to blow.

We all piled into Roni's car. She blasted her radio and I sat back in my seat taking in her great selection in music.

"So Bridget is trying to make a move on Chance?" Roni asked. Before I could get my answer out Becky retorted:

"Yeah, that hoe tryna make a move in on Danny's man. She just a snake."

I laughed, but said nothing more. She had one more time, and that was it. No talking. Just my hand around her neck, banging her head onto the concrete.

My phone buzzed. Daniel had texted me, telling me to call mom. He'd been trying to get me to do that for a while, and I refuse every time.

It's not the fact that she didn't believe me, although that hurts a whole bunch too, but it's mainly the fact that she chose Tim's word over mine. Like who does that? I'm her daughter, he's her second husband. How could she?

I used to think she was so strong and smart. I thought she had more dignity and self-respect. More self-worth. Now she's pregnant with his child and she just put her daughter out on the street. The daughter that was by her side through whatever choice she made, whatever struggle she went through. She kicked her out without anything. No clothes, not even a toothbrush. The daughter that was here before her husband. The daughter that almost died because everything in her life had changed suddenly. But, whatever.

She thinks I'm pregnant. My dad wants nothing to do with me. I sleep with a guy that isn't my boyfriend, but technically he is, but technically he's not. We don't sleep though, like have sex sleep, but just lay down and sleep sleep. He holds me and that's all I need sometimes. Someone to hold me and kiss me. It's so simple, yet so complicated.

We arrived at the cafe and went inside to find our seats. I went straight to the counter to talk to Chance. I see him enough in a day, but when I don't see him I get sad.