Sweet Spot

Smoke fogged up the car windows. Rio's eyes were too red and teared up. Tokyo was used to the smoke. It soothed her while she was running away from the police, not having a place to live. That was not many years ago. The smoke numbed her, then and now. The sudden slamming of the brakes by the massive driver brought her senses back to the present.

'Hey babe,' she said.

Rio responded by tilting his head towards her and his eyes open wide. He has brown curls falling on his forehead. He needed a haircut.

'We need to talk. I need to tell you something,' she started.

Tokyo wanted to assure him and protect him more than anything and wanted to let him know. She tried to tell Rio what she wanted in the least brutal way possible. But with Tokyo, it was never less brutal.

'I am pregnant,' she uttered as she saw the muscles in Rio's face tense up, and he adjusted himself and sat straight. His hands were on his knees. His lips pursed. The last time he looked like this, he was watching a football match. She waited for a reply, and he waited for her to continue. Tokyo took the hint.

'And I am not sure of how I can support a baby child, Rio. I like you very much. But think about it. A child in a heist! Both of us are very crucial to this plan. Bogata is already missing. I don't think I can nurture a child', she finished. Rio looked confused and understanding at the same damn time.

'First of all, I completely hear you. Bringing up a child is difficult on its own. To have to do that in a heist is just crazy. But Tokyo knows this. This is completely your decision. Even if it is our baby, it is your body. Take some time and decide peacefully. You could discuss it with Monica. If you are sure about not having the baby, that's okay. I am going to support you no matter what. That is because I love you.', he said.

Tokyo was surprised about how mature her little Rio had become. She tasted something salty. She was crying, unaware.

'Hey, hey, whispered Rio and hugged her sideways. She tugged on to his jacket. Rio held her hand and said, 'It's okay babe. Give it some time. If there's a baby, he's going to have a huge family. If there is no baby, I am still going to support you'.

Tokyo nodded and did not leave his jacket. They heard mumbled voices outside. Through the misty glass, they could see nothing but dark figures. Rio rolled down the window to see their entire team, scattered but amalgamated. They stepped out of the car. They were soldiers now on. They began their march.