57.

"Please," I cried as I stumbled through the corridors of the palace, arms seized by the cruel and unforgiving hands of guards as they dragged me across the marbled floors. I struggled against their hold, fighting and resisting to no avail.

"Don't hurt him. Please, I'll do anything. I'm begging you!"

My wrists burned from the strain as I clenched my fists and whipped around to see Hongjoong being escorted after me.

He looked dignified even in chains. Iron bound his hands which were folded in front of him, cold and harsh against the warm melanin which had already begun to bloom in hues of crimson and violet where the metal kissed his skin.

"It's okay," he mouthed to which my eyes began to burn once more as I violently shook my head.

"Don't," I cried, gasping as the hallway split in two and the horde of angels began dragging Hongjoong towards the court whilst the guards holding me headed into the darkness haunting the other side of the palace, "Don't!"

As he glanced back across his shoulder, I could see in his eyes that he knew what awaited him. None of the heirs looked my way. None of the Archangels had the heart to intercept. And my Mother.

My mother simply smiled.

Something within me snapped at the sight, and I roared as I, at last, managed to free one of my hands from my chains and broke free from the guards. "Don't touch him!" I screamed as I charged at the crowd and the son of Lilith whose eyes widened with every step I took.

I didn't think as I reached for his hands and felt the cold touch of the rings littering his fingers beneath my skin, already moving to undo his chains. I realized my mistake too late, however, as his wings immediately unfurled as a consequence, and all commotion ceased for a moment.

The Court of Heavenly Virtues watched in shocked silence as a vast scene of ebony and ivory rose behind him.

His wings, a collection of black and white clouds littering the soft feathers, made even the Archangels stand down, frightened as they stared at the stars blooming in the darkness.

Because angels were made of light whilst demons had been shaped by the darkness, yet Hongjoong was blessed by both.

My heartbeat echoed in my ears as my eyes found his, and I wanted nothing more than to fall to my knees before him and beg for forgiveness as I took in his every feature, wanting to memorize and worship every cut and curve of skin and bone.

His beauty was marred by sorrow, distorted by fear and regret, and I knew in my heart that all of it was my fault. That I had ruined him. Ruined us.

"Impossible," my mother mumbled, and my breath caught as I continued to fumble with the chains around Hongjoong's wrists, cursing and crying as they refused to give.

He whispered my name, and the sound of his voice nearly brought me to the floor as he made a move to cup my cheeks, tears brimming in his eyes as my mother growled, "Seize them."

I pushed and kicked and screamed as hands found my shoulders once more and I was ripped from the son of Lilith. "No," I cried as more guards surged forward to restrain the man I had come to love, "No. No. No!"

"See to it that she is locked away," my mother demanded, "And the demon," she turned to Hongjoong, "Gather the court. The situation at hand is more urgent than I had anticipated, and time is of the essence. A verdict is needed. Punishment is needed. I will not have my kingdom threatened by such an abomination."

Despite my struggles, my wrists were bound once more and I was dragged across the floor as rough hands tugged at my chains. Scrambling to my knees, I croaked, "Mother, I beg you-" only for her to interrupt me as she whipped around at the sound of my voice.