Chapter FORTY TWO

Lacey Paxton

"How are you both so calm right now?!.. Would one of you please say something?!.." You're getting more and more nervous the longer they give eachother knowing looks as they silently stew over the facts as you had presented them..

They had been like this the entire drive back to your apartment, where they began to thoroughly sweep every square inch of every room.. Looking for what, you aren't sure exactly.. After they're satisfied it's safe to talk, they make their way back over to where you sit in the living room waiting, perches on the arm of the sofa..

"What do you reckon, Greyson?.. Think Devereux knew about this?"

Ace shakes his head with the click of his tounge, unconvinced.. "I doubt it.. She was pissed.. You saw that for yourself, she hates Redlend.. She once told me he reminded her of Peirce.. Probably shoulda' listened to her.. Turns out she was dead fucking right.. As usual.."

Hunter doesn't give away much of what he is thinking, though you can tell he doesn't want Ellerie to be involved..
He always had a bit of a soft spot for her and, you suspect, a deep seeded respect.. Ever since she kicked his ass on the sparring mats.. "And Iris?.. You still think she's clean?.. After Red running his mouth off about her calling in a favour.. You know what she can be like.."

You frown, because that doesn't make sense to you.. "Wait.. I thought Iris said Redlend came to her 'highly recommended'?.. Not through some favor.."

Ace hums.. "I agree.. She's clean.. I means, she's a fucking pitbull.. But she's not a savage, Axe.. Redlend alone makes the most sense here.. He knew about what happened between me n Rafferty, the girls he was running.. So, he saw an opportunity to recruit someone just as fucking sick as he is.."

Hunter's head tips back and he pinches the bridge of his nose, as if he has a headache from all the stress.. "Makes sense.. He knew I was planning to leave Langley too.. That I wanted to takes Iris's offer to come back to the city.. To come home.. He knew I was gunna tell Lacey everything.."

Ace grinds his teeth.. "So he tried to get rid of her, sold Lacey out to the Senators slave ring.. Where he must have met Kingsley.. Kingsley was probably looking for muscle, with his nano-shit taking off.... Redlend hooks him up with Rafferty.."

You hold up a finger.. "Wait a minute.. Go back.. Hunter.. You were going to to come home?.. Before I was taken?.."

Hunter blinks, as if he had thought you'd already had that information.. Instead of this begin the first time you're hearing it.. "Yeah.. Of course I was.. You're my baby sister, I was always coming back for you, Lacey.."

A gentle warmth envelops your heart.. He was planning to come home before any of this even started.. And knowing that means everything to you.. You had always wondered if he had felt unburdened in his life after death.. But now you know for certain, he didn't.. He had wanted to be with his family.. He had longed for home.. And he missed you.. Just like you had missed him.. "Oh.."

Hunter throws himself onto the sofa beside you with a frustrated growl as he sets about rolling up his shirt sleeves.. "Fuck.."

Ace takes up the chair opposite you and the two slip back into their pensive trances, in the strained silence, their minds buzzing so intensely you can practically hear it..

You can barely take your eyes from Ace.. His serious, stern gaze.. His straight spine and tense shoulders.. But even now he remains composed.. You can see the static storm that churns behind his bright-blue eyes, but on the surface he is still and stoic.. Unbreakable.. "So, what do you wanna' do, Boss?.."