Chapter TWENTY SIX

Lacey Paxton

. . t h r e e d a y s l a t e r . .

You try your best to carry on life as normal, but without your usual lunches with your brother, there isn't much to look forward to each day and your mood has become increasingly depressed..

You wonder if this how it will always be now?

Shifting the heavy stack of textbooks from one arm to the other impatiently as you stand out front of the University campus, waiting for the cab you called over fifteen minutes ago to arrive..

As you glance up and down the road you see no sign of your car, or any other free taxis.. Just your luck.. All you want to do is go home and crawl into bed, forget about the chaos of your life.. And the destruction of your decisions..

Other students mill around in their little packs, their social bonds long established after years of sharing their journeys with one and other.. You have no circle of friends to surround you.. No clique in which you fit..

You are, and always have been the quiet, bookish type and not the social butterfly.. And it has never really bothered you all that much..

Untill now..

Are you just that damaged that you can't even make a casual acquaintance anymore?..

You wince, thinking of the last group of people you had tried to befriend.. Priya and her motherly kindness.. Mateo and his mischievous eyes.. Fleur's striking beauty..

The world lost so much the night their lives were taken so brutally.. You wonder if Colt would help you track down their families.. So that you might at least give them some closure..

Or would that be insensitive?..

You aren't sure..

So you suppose, it wouldn't be fair to say that you haven't tried at all.. But, you could try harder.. There are definitely some people who have repeatedly extended the branch of friendship only to have you continuously shy away from their attempts..

One of those people being Brent Reagan, who you see approaching you right now across the front lawns.. A fellow fifth-year and surgeon in training like you, Brent is, as far as you know, a perfectly nice guy - albeit a little bit posh - his family coming from old money, and it kind of shows.. But you can forgive him his upbringing for his friendly smile.. "Hey there, Lacey!.. Do you need a ride?" He comes to a stop beside you, his tailored suit cut neatly to fit his tall, wirey frame, he offers a bright, bleached smile..

You take a small step back, giving yourself a little more space to breathe and offer a strained smile.."Hi Brent.. Um.. It's nice of you to offer, but I'm good.. Thanks.."

He nods as he folds the cuffs of his jacket sleeves, rolling them up to his elbows and loosening his navy tie.. Not seeming at all phased by your gentle rebuff.. "A few of us were headed out to the Pen & Pony for a drink tonight.. I thought you might like to join us?.."

You shake your head.. "I really can't.. Or I shouldn't.." You huff, holding up the text books with a tired eye roll, indicating that you need to study... "Gotta hit the books, you know!"

You laugh, nervously and Brent gives you a funny, lopsided grin.. "Lacey.. You're at the top of every class.. I would know, because it is incredibly frustrating to always come in second place.."

You can't help but smile.. There is no trace of bitterness about the fact that you have beaten his scores on every test for the last five years.. To you, academics have always been a breeze, your mind simply absorbs and retains information with ease, a sponge, happily soaking up knowledge.. You are your most relaxed with a book in your hands, discovering something new.. "Am I supposed to feel guilty for your shortcomings, Brent?.."