027| the scavenger

╔═══════ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

'𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐜𝐚𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫' ════════════╝

━━ -ˋˏ★ˎˊ- ━━

... JAKKU, WESTERN REACHES OF THE INNER RIM

𝐈𝐒 𝐈𝐓 𝐏𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐈𝐁𝐋𝐄 to count every grain of sand in the desert?

The more delirious she became, the more possible the task seemed. Sand was everywhere, and it was everything, and therefore there should be a way to count it.  To quantify every last molecule.

You can't count the sand, Bee chirped, concerned. Are you sure you're okay?

Lyre blinked, not realizing she had just voiced the thought. "I'm fine, Bee. Just thinking out loud."

He glanced up at her, unconvinced.

The heat of the day burned at her scalp. Her jacket was tied at her waist in a futile attempt to escape the suffocating midday sun. Sweat soaked through her tank top as her legs grew tired from fighting to walk across the dunes for so long. Bee had exhausted every possible topic of conversation, and Lyra had run out of stories to tell. Every sentence would somehow manage to circle back to Poe, too, which didn't help. Bee understood why they had started moving slower and slower the further they walked, and he also understood that Lyra's legs would give out way before his mechanics would fail. Neither of them discussed what would happen then.

She had been stranded on planets before. Kaddak when she was fourteen, Hays Minor when she was nineteen, and there was also Canto Bight when she and Georgie had to steal a ship after their plans were spoiled. But there were no ships to steal on a planet like Jakku, where the landscape was bathed in dry heat for miles.

Every so often, they would pass a cluster of bones or a piece of metal paneling from a long-gone ship. There was a creature that Lyra could only describe as a sand snake that had popped up from the ground, intent on swallowing Bee in one bite. He squealed and rolled, Lyra used every ounce of energy left for a well placed knife slash and a blaster shot to the throat.

She had no idea if her distress signal was being received. She tried everything she had the memorized codes for: Eleni's contraband long-range transmitter, the Phoenix Squadron's channel, Reeve's private line, Leia's channel, and even Poe's com.