38

***

***

An enigmatic silent had engulfed the room as soon as the board members left the meeting room. The meeting well, more than they had expected but the thing that was bothersome was the falling economy of the company.

Leaning in his chair he glanced at Ayesha who was sitting next to him with her head down on the table. She was exhausted, and he could easily make it out, anyone could see her slumped shoulders. It was quite a hectic day for her, she had taken his works too reasoning that he was not well. It had amused him...seeing her care for him so much.

He sighed and gently passed his hand on her head...caressing it as if she was a baby. He could feel the softness of her mahogany hair under his fingers. She didn't react for sometime...taking in the soothing feeling his long slender fingers were sending.

“Do I look like a baby to you?” She playfully questioned sitting straight making him give a cheeky grin to her.

“You enjoyed that, huh baby?” He whispered the word baby in a husky voice that was obviously not used for small baby, rather the bigger one's. She shook her head trying to stop the smile making him smirk and then chuckle.

Their small interaction was broken by the clicking of the door. Their heads turned towards the intruder who had just stepped in with his head hung low and in a trance as if not aware of the presence already inside. Ayesha glanced at Mubashir whose eyes were stuck on the new arrival which was of someone they were quite familiar.

“Bilal?” She voiced out his name that unknowingly came out as a question. The intruder's head snapped up hearing her voice, his face holding a horrified yet vulnerable look. She was expecting some kind of dramatic retort from him but the sentence he spoke made her bewildered.

“I am so sorry. I didn't know you were here.” Bilal's eyes widened a bit as he spoke in hurried manner making a deep frown form on her face. Impulsively she turned towards Mubashir who too was looking quite shocked.

“I should leave...” Bilal again said.

“Wait, Bilal it's ok.” Ayesha cut him in between.

“No… I am sorry I -” before he could complete Mubashir spoke.

“Bilal I have a work for you. “ Bilal nodded.

“Can you please arrange a meeting with the creative designing team tomorrow?” Mubashir asked.

“I will. Anything more?” Bilal inquired.

“Yeah and make sure you are there too with your tech team.” Nodding silently he stepped back and went outside...without any more words, without any dramatics actions. Where did their old Bilal go? Where was the guy they have always known?

Lost.

Trapped in the horrible past.

“He has changed,” Ayesha said softly. An uncertainty and solemnity laced in her voice. Why would fate play such a cruel game with the one who was already broken. Bilal was just a small baby when Jameel had killed his parents. Sultan had bought him to them and it had shocked them to their core seeing his head small nose bleeding and a few scratches here and there. He was almost dead.