Chapter 18

I woke up the next Saturday morning with the worst sore in my back from sleeping the wrong way, and opened my phone to almost a billion texts from Jeremy. The first few was just him spamming my name to try and get my attention, and the last few texts explained how he was on his way to my place for the day because apparently Kyle was dying to see Natalie.

And he'd sent me that almost half an hour ago.

Not thirty seconds later, a thundering bang on my door had me rolling on the floor in fright. And Jeremy's cheerful head popped in through the door. "Good Morning Bestie!! Why are you on the floor?" He laughed and sprinted in to jump onto my bed while I glared at him.

"Why the heck are guy here so EARLY??"

"Well I'm sORRY Mr. I-dont-do-mornings. But Kyle was super eager on seeing Nat for some reason. Like I legit think he forgot you live in the same place. They've been in the kitchen catching up for the last 15 minutes, so I got bored and came to find you!" He ended with the biggest smile and pulled his phone out to scroll through instagram, while I trudged to the bathroom to make myself look remotely presentable.

Downstairs the air smelled like freshly made pancakes and I was already loving this morning. In the kitchen Nat was sitting in a counter chair laughing while Kyle hovered over the stove. A fresh plate of pancakes sat on the counter next to him.

"Oh Jake, look who just came over offering to cook breakfast" Nat said in between laughs.

"Yeah I know, I got the second brother procrastinating in my bed" I simply rolled my eyes and sat down next to Natalie. "So what's cooking?

"Chocolate Chip Pancakes. My specialty" Kyle then turned from the stove and slid a plate of hot pancakes across the counter to me. "Try em."

He grabbed a fork and knife from the drawer and handed them to me. I was surprised he still knew here everything in the kitchen was. It had been a while since he'd last been to our place.

I cut a bite out of the pancake stack and stuck it into my mouth, and it instantly melted in my mouth. I couldn't help but groan in satisfaction. I had never had pancakes as good as Kyle's in my life, and I didn't realise I'd missed having them so much in the last year or so.

"Holy fUCK Kyle!! This is the best thing I've had all all YEAR! Holy sHit it's so GOOD"

"Yeahh I know. And I've pretty much mastered it. Cuz it's the only thing I actually can make."

"This is all you NEED to make. God damn Kyle, your girlfriend would fucking CHERISH you!"

 "Yeah... I bet she would" 

The rest of the morning was spent with a whole load of catching up, and so many of Kyle's college stories. Around noon, Jeremy opted to go out for lunch, so we all got into my car and headed to the mall.

"Pizza? Burgers? Chinese? OOOO maybe Thai??" Jeremy went on and on while we walked around the food court in search of a place for us to sit.

"OOOO YES I WANT TACOS!!" And with that Jeremy sprinted around the corner to the pizza place.

The rest of us found a place to sit and I volunteered to save the seat while the other two would go order their food. When they left I pulled out my phone and started scrolling through instagram.

"hOLY FUCK Alex that was so SICK!" I heard a resonating voice coming from somewhere behind me. It sounded familiar so I turned around and my heart did it's usual 360 at the sight of Alex laughing in the middle of his big friend group. The voice I had heard was of one of his team mates: Zachary Payne. Alex's only non-jerk friend. Frankly I was surprised Alex ever made friends with someone as nice as Zach.