Chapter 31

Alex's  P.O.V

Waking up the next morning, it felt like I was wrapped up in a weighted blanket. I'd been up till an ungodly hour the night before simply thinking about my interaction with Jake yesterday and what it would be like today. What I'd failed to think about was the repercussions of actually getting myself involved with Jake again. 

I know I'd already hurt him once when I had to leave him the first time. And I'm sure it hadn't been easy not being able to even contact me for six whole years. Heck, there's a chance he might not even feel the same way about me anymore. There's also the fact that getting involved with him the first time is what got me shipped away to England. It was in no way his fault, of course, but.... I have a life and a job there now that I don't think I can just abandon right now. If by some miracle he'd still want to be with me, I don't think I want to make Jake  try long distance with me. Somehow it just doesn't feel right....

No, I was overthinking this waaaay too much. I just had to go meet him and catch up. He deserves to know what the hell happened over the last six years. And I want to know what he'd been through. Regardless of the relationship we had or the feelings we still may or may not have for each other, I'd still just really missed him. 

"Knock knock", Rowan's voice came from outside the door. He quietly turned the doorknob and walked in, possibly thinking I was still asleep. He walked in in his workout clothes, dripping in sweat.

"Oh god, you're finally up. You do know what time it is right? I just went on a whole run halfway across town and you're only just waking up."

"Stop being so nagging so early in the morning and go wash off, you stink", I muttered, groaning into the sheets. 

"Hey this," he paused to gesture at his whole body "is hard work and pure dedication. Your lazy-ass wouldn't understand. And get out of bed, your mom wanted you to go to the farmer's market with her."

"Do you mean YOU suggested we go to the farmer's market and SHE thought it was a great idea?"

He paused, like he was considering the likelihood of my words. "It's always a possibility", he said before turning on his heels towards the bathroom. 

I looked out my window at the street below. My house wasn't too far from the main town, so there were always people walking up and down the road. But it was never too loud. There were so many things that had now changed down this once familiar road. The trees, the houses in front, the road itself. We even have new neighbors now. At least they take better care of the plants than our neighbors before... 

Looking at how lively everyone was outside gave me a small burst of energy-- enough to get myself out of bed and quickly get ready to go to the market. 

...................................

The farmer's market was brimming with life: voices trying their best to be heard over everyone else's, the smell of freshly baked savories hanging in the air, the soft jazzy music playing in the background. This was quite possibly the only thing that has stayed so unchanging. 

"This... is nothing like the market's back home..." Rowan just stood at the entrance taking it all in. In a way, I was kind of experiencing this town the way he was. And I'd definitely be in awe too. 

"This place used to be Alexi's favorite place when he was small" My mom had a warm smile on her face. Like she was remembering all the little moments we spent here together. Couldn't blame her, I was thinking about it too.