Chapter 29

Alex's P.O.V

"Hi there mister. Sorry 'bout that. Lemme just take those from you, thankyouuu" He reached for the bags in my hand, not once looking at my face. Did he not recognise me or was he avoiding me?

No, his letters were slurred and he seemed slightly out of it. He was probably drunk. 

He tried picking the bags out of my hands, but apparently didn't have the energy to.

"Would you like some help?" 

"Oh yes please I would love some help. Help me please." Physically he seemed okay, but he was totally out of it. 

He's exactly like back then...

"Which way are you headed?" I asked him, taking the bag out of his hand. He looked left and right, like he was looking for something. And then his eyes locked onto a vehicle not far from us. His arm flung to point towards a light grey minivan parked underneath a nearby tree. 

Without another word he made a slow, staggery walk towards the vehicle, and I followed behind him– feeling more nervous than i ever have in possibly my whole life. 

He got to the van and fumbled with the door handle a little until it slid open from the inside. I can't say I was surprised at the crowd of people I saw in the car. I couldn't make out all of their faces in the dark but I instantly recognised Jeremy, who'd open the door, and Natalie, who was passed out next to him. 

"Got the goods!" Jake exclaimed to a drowsy looking Jeremy. "This kind old man offered to bring our stuff to the car! I may have had a little accident when I was coming out of the store... hehehe" 

Old? Damn, really?

"Kind old man-?" Jeremy looked over Jake's shoulder to catch my nervous gaze. 

I wasn't sure what I was doing there. I had only meant to go buy some ice cream from the store cuz I'd been craving it. Why in my mother's name was I carrying the groceries of the man I was in love with six years ago...?

He definitely recognised me. Clearly wasn't as drunk as Jake....

"Alex..." his voice was low. He was much more than astonished to see my face, with Jake nonetheless. 

"Alexxxx...?" Jake started slurring.

I was getting shivers and butterflies alike. I hadn't heard his voice in a whole six years. Let alone his voice calling my name. I think that was the point I started feeling light-headed. 

"Why would you say his name Jeremyyyy. Now I'm thinking about himmmm" he  pretended to cry as he clambered into the vehicle. 

My heart was pounding so hard. Why didn't Jake recognise me? What would he have done if he'd realised it's me...?

"No Jake, I mean it's Alex–"

"Shut upppp let's just go homeee" Jake reached his hand out to me. 

Now before I get criticised for what I did next, you have to understand I wasn't exactly thinking straight. The man I've loved, but been away from for six freaking years, is in front of me right now. I deserve to be excused from embarrassment... 

I looked at his hand for a couple of seconds, before slowly placing my palm in his... 

This... Just holding his hand... It was enough to send me hurtling through metaphoric clouds of happiness. My body seemed to completely warm up from that touch alone. 

But alas that little flight of joy didn't last long. Because to a drunk Jake, I was but a random stranger he bumped into outside the corner store. So he swiftly pulled his hand away, looking particularly puzzled.