Chapter 30

Alex's P.O.V

"Why does it take you so long to tie a damn shoelace?!"

"Shut up Alex! Shoelace tying is an ART. I don't expect you to understand" Rowan's retorts were aimed directly at my slip-on shoes. 

"You're just jealous that it only takes me two seconds to put shoes on."

"Suuuure buddy. Whatever you wanna tell yourself. Alright, alright lets go find your boyfriend." he whisper shouted as he double-knotted his second shoe and rushed past me to walk out the door. 

"Not my boyfriend... " I grumbled under my breath. 

"Yeah, not yet." He's had the biggest smile on his face about me finally getting to see Jake. I swear, one might even assume he's more excited than I am. "Come on come on let's goooo"

"Mom, we're leaving!!" 

"Okay babi, be back before dinner!"

I shut the door behind me and I led Rowan in the direction of the town. 

A short 10 minute walk later, we're already in the middle of the loud noises and the smell of car smoke and food-truck food.

"Where do we even start looking....?"

"Hmm..." Rowan stopped to take a good look around the street we were on. "What are the best coffee shops in town?"

"Um, there's a Starbucks just up ahead– and there's a couple of other small cafes for the next couple blocks?"

"Perfect let's check em all"

"All?" 

"You can never be too certain buddy. I'm telling you, people always look for a nice cold cup of coffee after work?"

"They do..?" I'm genuinely sure I've never heard of anyone drinking coffee after work.

"Absolutely. No shut up and lead me to your Starbucks. But make sure to keep your eyes peeled for our target. I don't know what he looks like so this is all on you, okay?"

I nodded, and did just that. We walked straight up the road to the Starbucks, and hung around there for a few minutes. Neither Jake, nor anyone I knew from school showed up, which I thought was a little weird. Then we walked down a couple roads to the next best coffee shop. Nothing again.

We walked around for at least another 45 minutes until both of us were finally getting sick of it. So we decided to actually get ourselves something to drink at the next place we stopped at.

And it was a cute little Korean cafe. I'd never been to this place before so they're definitely new. But they seemed to be incredibly popular because all the seats inside were taken and a decently long line of people were waiting to take their orders at the counter. 

"Okay, tell you what. You stay out here and keep an eye out for mystery man. And I'll go get us some boba. Anything specific you want?"

"Hmm.. nah, surprise me"

"Hehe yes, I like that answer. Okay, will be back soon!" And he zoomed into the cafe. 

I stood outside the main window of the cafe, observing the busy street. I don't think it used to be this busy when I was last here. There was also so many new shops. Hard to imagine so much can change in just six years. But despite how busy it was, I still felt so much more at home just by standing in these streets.