46.

EBONY'S POV (The creature)

I sat up on my very soft bed and pulled my legs into my chest as I buried my face into my knees. I hated this time. I hated being the only one awake during the daylight as that left me to my own thoughts. Drowning in memories that were slowly creeping back to me like trickles of water into a river of darkness and fear. The worst part of it all was that some of those memories weren't mine....they were hers. They were memories of growing up in that awful cave with no one but vampire Carter. He treated us so badly...he loved seeing us cry. He enjoyed watching us cower in his presence and then everything changed. I could see visions of him laughing and smiling, I could hear his voice in my head telling me everything will be okay and I could feel him calling out for her...just like he was right now. He was calling for Ebony to come home to him. He was begging her to return to him. He was destroyed and I was the one slowly destroying him.

It had been two weeks now and I had seen him five times in total. He avoided me at every turn and when he did have to speak to me he would be polite and then make an excuse to leave. I was making this harder on him with my mere presence and it was killing me because I wanted nothing more than to know him. I wanted to help him. I wanted him to feel something again, but he can't and he never would because I'm not her and I had no right to be here. These are her thoughts and I just wanted to rip my head off to make all the noise stop.

"Stop," I whispered to the human. "Please, stop." I saw a memory of them dancing slowly in the snow as it fell above them and then I felt his soft lips gently touch mine. I felt his hand in my hair as he pulled me closer to him...I felt him kiss me deeply as he picked me up in his arms.

"Stop," I yelled out in frustration. "This ridiculous. What do you want from me, Ebony?" I hit the bed in anger and kicked over the lamp on the bedside table. "I can't do this anymore. I'm not you. I will never be you...." I sighed loudly. "I'd give anything to be you but I'm not." I stood up and walked over to the mirror. "It's kind of ironic that he fell in love with both of us for completely different reasons. Your soul and my face." I stared at my reflection watching my eyes twinkle in the moonlight as Ebony let me know she was there. "I'm sorry, I cannot do this anymore. Your baby is safe and Carter needs to grieve you. I can't be here anymore. It's just too hard on everyone. I need to be focused on killing the darkness not making out with vampire Carter. I have to finish what we started. We need to stop this once and for all." I felt butterflies in my stomach and then slight pain raiding down my side. "We need to focus on the darkness. Vampire Carter needs to heal and he can't with me around. It's just better for everyone If I leave."

The sound of Cayden crying suddenly filled the room through the baby monitor and I felt a pain in my chest as the screams got louder.

"No, he has his father now. He doesn't need me." The screams grew louder as the pain got worse and the house began to shudder around me. "Cayden, stop. You will be better without me. You have your family now. Please, don't do this." I fell to my knees clutching my chest as the pain spread through me like fire. I felt tears fall from my eyes as the pain become unbearable and I screamed out loud as I fell to the floor praying for death over this pain.

"Ebony.." I heard a voice through the screams. "Oh my lord, Ebony." I felt his strong arms around me picking me up off the floor and holding me tightly. "Hold on, just hold on a little longer." I heard his voice in my ear and his lips touch my skin. "That's it, don't let go." He said softly as I wrapped myself around him and held on tightly. Carter the vampire suddenly stood up and carried me as I yelled out feeling the pain jolt through me again.

"I can't do this." I cried out wrapping myself around him. "I can't do this anymore."

"Shhh, everything will be ok. I promise." He said in my ear as we entered the baby's room and the screaming ripped through me like shards of glass.