44.

JAKE'S POV ❤️

It has been three days now. Three days since that creature moved into our house and I still felt angry. I still felt frustrated that no one was fighting to find Ebony. I know she is somewhere out there and I know she is waiting for me to find her. I don't care what this creature says about her....she is not my Ebony!

"Jacob the vampire..." There she was again at my door. "Are you ready to talk to..."

"No." Take a hint creature. I don't care about you. Fuck off already.

"Oh, okay. I just wanted to tell you that... I hate you."

I turned to look at her with fury on my face. "Excuse me?"

"I...I just...I shouldn't have done that. I'm sorry but I had the sudden urge to tell you that I hate you...I don't by the way..." the creature held onto the door frame as she stuttered at me with complete fear. "I'm sorry Jacob the Vampire."

"Get away from me." I snarled at her. "You are not Ebony, and I will find out who you are. Then you will be in a world of trouble."

"I'm sorry you feel this way. I understand that the two of you were close and I want to help you...."

"You can help by going the fuck away from me. You might look like her but you are nothing like her. You sicken me. You take her form and then try to sneak your way into here...I'm on to you and I will prove you are not her."

"You are right. I am not your Ebony. I am the creature that kept her safe and gave her life. I protected her when she was hurt and I healed her when she was sick. I don't remember anything about the life she leads but I remember her. I remember listening to her talk to herself about everything. I remember her thinking about a vampire that made her laugh and tingle when he tickled her. I remember the feeling of relief she felt when she found out he was not completely dead. I have been lost in my memory of Ebony and I know it's not the same as yours but I do remember her joy when she was around you. You are the vampire she called Jake yes?"

I froze at her words. I wanted to throw my bed at this creature for making me doubt myself. No, this creature is trying to manipulate me just like she did the others and I won't. I won't be weak and give in to her. Ebony needs me.

"Get away from me," I growled at the creature as she took a step back. "Don't you ever use my girl against me like that again. You know nothing about her. You killed her and I will prove it if it's the last thing I do. You will pay for hurting my friend." I stood up not taking my eyes off her. "If you want to die today then keep talking," I growled through gritted teeth.

"I understand and accept your terms Jacob the vampire. I am sorry you feel this way. I can feel your friend Ebony's sadness inside me. She cries for you at night. She cries about leaving you alone again and wishes you could feel her again. She misses you." The creature disappeared from my doorway as I lunged toward it. How dare that filthy creature talk to me like that. I will kill it in its sleep. That's what I'll do. I will rip out its insides and drink its blood until it's nothing but a pile of skin and bone. I will avenge my best friend and nothing is going to stop me. NOTHING!

————-

I walked towards the creature's door as it sleeps. I know what I have to do to end this for everyone. I know that creature killed my friend and took her body and know I need to end this before it kills us.  That's not Ebony. It ends tonight.

"Jacob, what are you doing up this early?" Shit! Bossman. Fuck!

"Hey, yeah boss. I couldn't sleep so I thought I would go for a walk." Damn it, he needs to go.

"Yeah, I'm not sleeping that well either. In fact, I'm not sleeping at all." He looked like hell. There are dark circles under his eyes and his hair was a mess. This was not Carter Morgan. This is what's left of him now that she's gone. He won't fully recover from her death until that creature is gone. I had to help him. Help my family heal.