•Chapter Twenty One• Divine Intervention

Silvia

I'd just shot at some rogues that were running right at Matt, which left me wide open to an attack. I felt the impact and it sent me stumbling back a few steps before my legs gave way. The pain was indescribable, making me shut my eyes tight, but then everything went blurry when I opened them again. A burning sensation flowed from the wound in my chest and quickly spread throughout my body, the minute it entered my bloodstream.

I heard voices calling to me but I couldn't even speak, my lips had grown numb, just like the rest of my body. Even Athena's voice seemed distant and faint. Darkness closed in around me and I began to feel myself fading away with each beat of my heart. It was hard to draw in a breath, it felt like my throat was slowly constricting. I believed I was dying, but I was fighting it.

I didn't want to leave my mate now that we'd found each other. I wanted to stay with him and never leave his side. Matt was the best thing that had ever happened to me and I wanted to stay with him. But the darkness continued to consumed me, it held me in its grip. Then I lost sense of time, I couldn't be sure how long I drifted in the darkness. Moments? Hours? Days? The most important question on my mind was, will I ever escape and return to my mate's side?

Shadows fell over me before they moved away and left me alone in the darkness again. I tried to speak, ask them not to go, but I couldn't move my lips. When I felt light on my face again, I wondered how long it would be before it left too. But incredibly, I felt a soft, comforting touch on my face. It felt like a feminine hand, which had me wondering who it belonged to and if they would leave me alone, as the shadows had.

"Silvie, " A familiar voice called to me. "Open your eyes, honey."

I thought I wouldn't be able to open my eyes but was surprised when they popped opened with little effort. I could see two faces above me, but they were blurry at first, and the bright light didn't help. I blinked several times in quick succession until the faces came into focus and I gasped when I realized the two faces belonged to my dead parents. I knew then I must have died.

I sat up and threw my arms around my mother's neck, hugging her tightly. "Momma!" I cried out joyously. My mother's arms came around me, cuddling me against her like she used to, her familiar scent drifting up to my nose.

"Hey, I'm here too!" Papa stated with mock indignation. Laughing, I pulled away from Momma, then dove into papa's arms for one of his gentle, yet bone-crushing, hugs.

Chuckling, Papa held me close. "Hey, little warrior!" Papa greeted me before he pulled back to look into my eyes with a loving smile on his face.

"So I died, huh?" I ask, but both Momma and Papa shook their heads.

"Not yet, " Papa says next, then cups my cheek with his big hand. "You still have work to do, little warrior."

"Your father is right," Momma agrees. In the next instant, momma grabbed my hands to haul me to my feet, and for the first time, I took note of my surroundings.

We were standing in a meadow filled with beautiful flowers, though I knew I'd never seen these types of flowers before, they were alien to me. The color of these flowers seemed more vibrant than any I'd ever seen, and their fragrance was pleasing, as well as soothing. Papa placed his arm around my shoulders, while Momma interlaced her fingers with mine and we began to walk toward a small cottage, while Momma hummed a song she always sang when I was a pup.

Suddenly, a mighty roar shattered the tranquility and seemed to make the ground tremble with its might. I could feel the vibration on the bottoms of my feet, then travel up my legs. Never having heard such a sound, it startled me and had me looking around wildly for the source. My eyes darted around until they fell upon the culprit, then grew wide with fear.