Prologue

Once upon a time, I had a normal life, with loving parents and friends that were more like family. But such is the life of a werewolf that lives in a pack.

Then one day, my life was turned upside down in a matter of minutes. I lost my parents, and my birthright, but if that wasn't bad enough, I also lost my memories.

I was so young then and didn't know that my life was not your run-of-the-mill werewolf life, I was to be part of something extraordinary. Something that my parents worked hard to keep a secret from outsiders and died because of it.

No one had told me I was a sacred vessel of the goddess and my life would never be as simple as that of others. It should have been obvious on the day my parents were killed... If I could remember that is.

It all happened on a beautiful summer day that haunted my dreams for years after the fact. It was a day like any other. The kind that makes you want to be outside enjoying the sun and cool breeze.

You know, it was the type of day that can be deceptive, since you never suspect that your life is about to change drastically...

************************

I was outside playing ball with my close friends Sussie and Becca. We usually played with my cousin Ashley too, but she was grounded that day and couldn't join our fun.

At one point a bunch of other pups ran over to join us and we decided to play tag. We were laughing and having such a great time that we barely noticed when a shout rang out.

"Silvie!" My mother screamed as she ran toward me. I turned to her with a grin that was soon replaced by confusion when I saw the fear on her face. The other pups began running away and crying which confused me even more.

"Get her inside now!" I heard papa shout.

I turned toward his voice and saw papa running toward the treeline from where a bunch of big wolves, with red eyes, as well as white, foamy snouts, and saliva dripping from their jaws, were spilling out onto our pack grounds.

Papa then shifted into his big black wolf and charged at the wolves with red eyes. I began crying then. I felt fear for papa and wanted him to come with us.

I was going to run after him, but then momma picked me up in her arms and was turning to run the other way when we both went flying sideways.

I landed on the ground with a whimper of pain because my head hit a hard object. My eyes were closed tight for a moment as the pain intensified before it began to recede.

When I opened my eyes, I saw momma shift into her white wolf, then she stood in front of me, while two wolves with red eyes stalked toward us.

Momma let out a warning growl, before crouching in place. She stood between me and the dirty wolves stalking us.

If they tried to walk around her, she'd jump forward, snap at them, then place herself between us again.

I knew she was protecting me from them and I began to tremble with my fear, while my heart pounded in my chest.

I looked around for papa and my eyes grew round as three wolves with red eyes jumped on him. Papa fought well but one of the wolves bit on his hind leg, making him turn to snap at it, and that's when another wolf went for his throat.

Moments later papa lay on his back in human form bleeding from his throat, his eyes staring up at the blue sky.

"Papa!" I screamed. Startled, momma looked toward papa and that's when the two wolves stalking us attacked.

It didn't take long for them to kill momma and as they stood there with my mother's blood dripping from their mouths, something inside me snapped.

I let out a mournful scream that ended in a howl as pain vibrated through my body and the sound of breaking bones filled the air around us.

The wolves with the red eyes looked confused as they stared at me, then looked at each other as if they were unsure on how to proceed.

Suddenly, but quite muffled, I heard my Uncle Dave's voice urgently shouting for tranquilizers, distracting the two wolves for a moment.

With my heart pounding in my ears, while red, hot anger coursed through my body, I launched myself at the closest one, catching it by surprise and sending us both to the ground with me on top. Before it could react, I sank my teeth into its throat and ripped it out.

Even though the wolf had stopped moving, I continued to rip chunks of fur-covered flesh from its body. I lost all reason, all I knew at that moment, was absolute fury and pain. I wanted to kill them, tear them to pieces for taking my loved ones from me.

I heard someone approach and I turned in their direction, ready to attack them too. But before I could lunge at them, I yelped in pain as something sharp made contact with my flank and my legs turned to jello. I landed on the ground in a heap, whining with each panting breath.

The fury-induced haze began to clear and I saw momma's unmoving form inches away. Desperately, I began to crawl my way to momma's body with my remaining strength.

Laying my head on her chest, I felt tears slipping from my eyes, wetting my fur. I heard the popping sounds again seconds before I felt someone kneel next to me.

"It's ok sweetheart, " A voice said softly. The voice made me feel something funny in my chest and a voice screamed one word in my head before it went silent, 'Mate!'

I felt gentle hands wrap a blanket around me before they pulled my limp body away from momma and I whimpered softly. The person turned me so that I could see them and I noticed it was a boy of about twelve, with light blond hair and blue eyes. For some reason, I felt safe in his arms, and then my world was swallowed by darkness.

********************
Prologue is now edited. I also decided to completely re-do the prologue. I like this version better! :)

Plz help a girl out by voting and commenting. I'd like to know what u think. Thanx bunches! :*