Chapter 27: Breakfast routine

Chapter 27

~Kaio’s POV~

I ran a finger across his forehead and smiled when his brows furrowed.  He was even more beautiful when he slept. I could see not a flaw in his features and not a worry in his expression. He was calm…peaceful. I lightly traced his soft eyebrows, then continued until my finger danced on the tip of his nose and I smiled again when he scrunched his nose.

With every day that came and went I looked to the skies in question.  I was nothing but a lowly drudge. My existence meant nothing to anyone but my beloved lord and my disappearance would not be felt by many, so why was luck on my side? Why was I blessed with this lovely creature sleeping by my side?

Had I not met him, I would not have thought it possible to love another as deeply as I did and I would not have thought it equally possible to fear for another’s life as much as I did his.

It was strange now to think that I once wondered why Lord Riener invested so much of his time and concern for his Tony, but now that I thought as he did the answer became so simple. When I ran a finger over his lips his eyes finally drifted open and he batted my hand away before turning away from me, grumbling under his breath. I chuckled.

He was never at his best in the morning, another trait I found endearing. When I ran my hand through his hair he groaned in annoyance. “Stop.”

“You cannot sleep away the day Mal, we have much to do.” This time when I ran a hand through his hair he ignored me, eyes closed as he tried and surely failed to fall back into his dream world.

“Lord Rien was very specific about our departure time. You have angered him enough and I wish to begin the day in peace.” I continued.

“As much as I care about Tony, stalking him for a week isn’t exactly a compelling reason to get out of bed in the morning.”

“We’ll be doing no such deed. Lord Rien has entrusted me with his care and I take such matters seriously.”

“I’m sure.” He muttered drily and with a shake of the head, I hopped from the bed and stood watching him.

“Very well, you’re welcome to remain here for the duration of our trip if you so choose. I’m certain the drudges will love the company.” I told him before turning on my heels, robes swishing around my ankles as I exited the room.

When I was halfway down the corridor I heard his defeated sigh and the thud of his bare feet on the cool tiles. I smiled. It always surprised me how easy it was to get my way with him. Had I used a similar tactic on Tony I was certain it would not have yielded such good results. It just illustrated how complicated humans could be. Their emotions changed with the wind and none were truly alike, it was a wonder how they managed to coexist.

 I turned down the hall and when I proceeded to descend the stair case I could detect the sound of my keeper’s voice. He was on the right wing, in Tony’s chambers partaking in a seemingly serious conversation with his grumpy mate. As I walked, I filled my mind with other things so as not to overhear his words.

“I had begun to wonder whether or not you would make it down from your bedchamber today Kaio.” A fellow drudge, Hester announced when I entered the kitchens.

“Mal was being particularly trying this morning.”

She grinned, her pearl white fangs glinting in the sunlight streaming through the open windows. “He would sleep away the beauty of the day if we allowed it.” She said with amusement and I nodded.