Chapter 5: Before the present

Chapter 5

~ 5 and a half years earlier~

“You don’t have to hold my hand Rien, jeez…I swear I won’t do anything stupid.” Tony tried and failed to reassure me. My hand tightened…as much as I dared without crushing his fragile bones.

“I’ve learned it’s best not to take your word for anything.” I said in a dry tone and he rolled his eyes.

“The guy had it coming, if I didn’t steal his shit someone else would have, he’s a jerk, he deserved it.” He boasted and I shook my head while continuing to listen closely.

“Do you think I could stay by you tonight?” he asked when we finally turned onto his street, looking up at me with big ‘innocent ‘, pleading eyes.

“No. I’ll have guests.”

“I swear I won’t ruin it for you, I’ll just sit in a corner and watch, you won’t even know I’m there.”

Doubtful.

“That’s not the problem…these guests… You won’t be safe.”

“You’ll be there, I’ll be fine.” He said it with such confidence I had to smile.

 “You won’t be, but you’re welcome tomorrow night.” I assured him and when we finally stopped before his gate, I released his hand.

I heard the shattering of glass against wall and we both looked towards his home. The ones he called his foster parents were up to their usual antics again. I shook my head. Humans with their fickle emotions and their quick anger.

When I looked back at him his eyes were once again pleading. ”Just lemme come with you...just tonight RiRi please.” He practically begged, grabbing hold of my hand and squeezing and as always it was not easy telling him no.

“Go straight to your room and lock your doors. You will be fine.” I said prying his fingers from my wrist.

“I didn’t ask if I’d be fine, I asked to go with you.” he said and I could sense his annoyance and if I prolonged this further I would see his anger. He had a temper this one.

“And I said no. Now go and remember don-“

“Don’t do anything stupid, yeah whatever.” He finished, then turned away from me.

I watched as he half ran up the pathway leading to the house’s entrance then pulled the door open roughly before slamming it behind him. I stayed long enough to listen to his feet thudding up the wooden stairs and until he closed his room doors and turned the lock. When I heard the squeak of his mattress I disappeared into the night.

When I arrived at my temporary residence it didn’t take long for me to realize I had company; the screams of an unlucky human was my first clue. The door opened before I could reach for it and I was ushered in by an unfamiliar drudge.

“Brother you’re tardy. Why am I not surprised. Your human has all but sucked out all the good comportment you once professed to have.” My brother Jorlon spoke from the love seat where he was sprawled haphazardly, his shirt opened to expose his smooth stark white chest. Beside him a sobbing human boy lay, warm blood oozing from a shallow puncture in his neck.

On a seat to his left sat Kandane; my eldest brother; calm and composed; legs crossed and arms splayed on either arm of his chair. “It does not do you well to be late for a meeting as important as this brother.

I was helped out of my robe by the drudge before I lowered myself into a seat beside another brother; Marcan who was busy having his fill of a half conscious human girl.