Chapter 25: My brother; the snake.

Chapter 25

The tennis ball bounced off the wall and I raised a hand to catch it, then threw it again without pause. Over and over again I did this, working my arms as a way to ease the boredom. Off to the side of the courtyard, Kaio stood watching me, his eyes following the motion of the ball in deep concentration.

I’d been at it for over half an hour, and already I was wondering what I could do next. The days here in the coven dragged by slowly, and the more time I spent here, the more restless I became.

I’d come from Christophe’s place only four hours before, after trying to convince him to make the trip to my home town with me, and now I wished I’d stayed there. Despite his cockiness, his company was still more agreeable than sitting around Rien’s place doing nothing.

“This game looks to be positively tedious.”

I caught the ball and looked toward to sound of Rien’s voice, then shook my head when I spotted him sitting on the windowsill up above.

“That’s because it’s not a game, it’s just a way to pass the time.” I told him, then added. “You guys should get a gym, or a TV. I don’t know how you survive in this place.” I said with a shake of my head, and he smiled.

“If you were a blood drinker, I would suggest that you visit the arcade, however in your present condition such a thing would be unwise.” He said.

My eyes narrowed. “Present condition?”

He gestured to my body with an outstretched hand. “You are human.” He said simply, and I shook my head and threw the ball again.

This time instead of catching it, it breezed past the tips of my fingers and went flying into the nearby bushes. I glanced around with a sigh, then back at Rien.

“What do you do at the arcade?’ I questioned.

“Testing of skills mainly. Knife throwing, hand to hand combat and the like.” he said, and I perked up instantly.

“That’s sounds great, you think because I’m human I can’t beat any one of you bloodsuckers?”

He shook his head. “If a human so much as sets a foot in that place, he will not likely walk out with his head.” He explained, and once again my mood soured.

“I’m losing my mind here Rien, I need something to do.” I told him in earnest, and for a moment he seemed to think about it.

“Join me in my bedchamber. I am certain we can find a way to pass the time.” He teased, and I glared at him.

Kaio cleared his throat loudly, and in that moment I wished I had the ball in hand.

“I serious.” I said, and he smiled.

“As am I.”

“What did your father say about me leaving the coven for a few days?” I questioned.

The smile immediately fell from his face.

“I have decided my father’s command means nothing to me now. I too have business beyond the coven walls, therefore while I am gone you will be permitted to visit your friend…providing you have an escort of course.” He finished.

I raised a brow. “You spent the last two weeks worrying about what your father would do to me and now you don’t care? What happened between this morning and now?” I questioned.

He merely shrugged.

“I have discovered that he may very well be unhinged, and I cannot follow the orders of one whose mind is not with us.”