Chapter 3:Denial, Guilt, Shame...love.

Chapter 3

~Tony’s POV~

His reaction to my words was instant and before I knew it, he had backhanded me across the cheek. My head snapped to the side and I tasted blood. Every part of me strained to respond in kind but as I straightened, I fought to reign in my temper. I couldn’t imagine someone surviving after getting into a fight with a vampire and unlike his little minion Kaio, I didn’t have a death wish.

Instead I stood there glaring at him and refusing to show even a slight sign that what he’d done affected me in anyway. I’d expected his anger, heck I even welcomed it, what I didn’t expect was the look of disappointment in his cold eyes as he looked down at me, more than that I didn’t expect to feel that strange twinge of guilt in my chest and I turned my gaze to Kaio’s still form.

I took in the blade that still protruded from his chest and the blood which had pooled beneath his body.

It wasn’t as if he was human; just a blood thirsty parasite with more loyalty than sense. There were bigger things at play here; like the fact that my men needed me in this crucial time of war.

Even one extra hand could make a difference between someone’s life and death yet here I was dragged from battle against my will and expected to play house with the likes of these pathetically immortal fools.

I pushed aside the guilt that tried to surface as I stared at kaio and turned back to Rien who was busy rolling up the sleeves of his shirt. He didn’t glance my way, neither did he speak and I felt uneasy standing there in the thick silence.

“I’m done with this place, you dragged me from my men, do you have any idea what consequences I could face when I go back?” I growled and he finally looked up, appraising me with a bored expression.

“If I had been foolish enough to leave you to your war, you would be dead right now.” He said, his tone cold.

“You were foolish enough to leave me in the army five years ago, why the sudden change of heart?” I snapped, disgusted with the entire situation.

“Keep in mind the fact that you got yourself into that mess.” He began, then I watched as he went over to the table and retrieved a knife from the holder. I took a step back, my heart pounding as I wondered what he would do with it.

He was a vampire, if I even managed to run I wouldn’t get very far.

“I’m not one to put up with insults, however I will turn a blind eye for now as I understand that you’re still upset that I left you” he was saying and I scoffed despite my unease.

“My reasons were honorable and despite the way you turned out…” he gestured to kaio’s body and the twinge from earlier returned. “the fact that you were able to slay a vampire; being the weak human that you are, shows some promise.”

I bristled at his words and took another step back when he stepped forward.

“He had it coming to him and if you’re gonna kill me, just get it over with, I’m not in the mood for your shit.”

His eyes glinted, as did the knife he held and I swallowed. Hard. In my line of work, one came face to face with death on a daily basis, but I’d never quite imagined dying at the hands of my ex-lover and certainly not in this way.

“You’re the murderer remember?”

 I watched as he turned to Kaio and stared down at his form for a while before lowering himself to his side. A surge of what I refused to identify as jealousy hit me when he rested a hand on the slave’s cheek gently and held it there for a brief second before he turned away from his face and focused his attention on his chest.