Chapter 6: The flesh is weak.

Chapter 6

~Rien’s POV~

“Is that name supposed to mean something to us?” Tony had entered the room and stood with his back to the door, eyes planted on the patient as he waited for an answer to his question.

The man looked over at him, lips twitching and eyes crinkling in amusement and suddenly I found him a bit more interesting.

We all continued to watch as he looked away from Tony without a word, turning his gaze instead to the window to his right, then he shrugged; smile still glued in place.

“I guess not.”

He was a strange little man, if I could call someone bigger than Tony little. Here he lay, not fully healed, in a bed surrounded by three men he perceived to be his enemy; who he must know could end his life at any minute, yet he could smile such a genuine smile as if completely unaffected.

He was either very brave, very foolish or he knew something we didn’t; instinct told me it was the latter.

“Go on.” I prodded and the man shrugged; a gesture I’d always disliked.

“It is like he guessed…I’m nobody special. Grew up in a small town; my father a butcher, my mother a ...how do you say…dressmaker? My family was poor, I needed money, I joined the army.” He spoke smoothly, no hitch in his voice, steady heart rate, no change in his expression, yet I knew for a fact that he had just lied. Lied with a smile on his face.

Kaio shot me a look filled with trepidation, eyes pleading. I had warned the human yet he had the gall to insult me by lying. It only served to remind me why I disliked the human race so.

“Bullshit.” This came from Tony who had now advanced two steps closer to the bed; expression menacing.

“Kaio, take this time to remind your mate that the next time he defies me, he will not live to smile about it.” I said as I grabbed hold of Tony’s arm and pulled him through the door with me.

“Mate?” I heard the patient question in confusion. I tuned out to rest of the exchange as I continued to drag Tony down the hall; this action was of course not without his usual protestations and profanity.

When we got to his room, I lifted the hem of his shirt and pulled the kitchen knife from the waistband of his jeans, then I flung him into the chair by the door and when he made to get up I threw him a look that would have made even the fiercest warriors of my coven rethink his options.

He straightened himself in the seat and after a moment spent glaring at me, he looked away; jaw clenched and knuckles white where he gripped the arms of the chair.

“Do you remember that night you found a stranger in an alleyway, dead from a gunshot wound more than five years ago?” I asked after allowing a minute of silence to descend.

“In case you haven’t realized it, I’m only human, don’t expect me to remember every little thing that happens in my life.” He spat.

I grabbed another chair and dropped it directly in front of him, after which I sat. “It is unfortunate that you should consider that particular event “little.”

As expected he couldn’t avert his eyes for very long with me sitting directly before him and eventually, he glanced my way, eyes not quite meeting mine.

“Is there a point to this whole conversation?” he asked then, shifting uncomfortably in his seat. I could detect the faint flush of his cheeks and could feel the increased heat rising from his flesh.