Chapter 42: A little bit of your attention

Chapter 42

He had his arms wrapped around me as I sat before him on the hard, concrete floor of the roof. I couldn't tally the amount of time I'd spent in high up places like this ever since I'd met him; but there had been many and this...this was my favorite by far. Being with him like this; wrapped up and safe in his arms; something I had thought I would never experience again.

I leaned into him, my back resting against his chest and his arms tightened. I felt weak, raw and tired as I sat there, but I didn't want to be anywhere else.

It was crazy to think that not too long ago I'd told myself it was over between us; that whatever messed up relationship we'd had didn't matter. Yet here I was; my mind completely changed by something I couldn't quite put my finger on. I only knew that I felt something with him; something that meant more to me than his five year's absence.

It was crazy how someone could change in no time at all.

I took a deep breath and winced at the sharp pain I felt in my shoulder.

"I should take you back to the medical center."

I shook my head. "I couldn't get up now even if I tried."

He shifted slightly and I felt his lips graze the side of my head. "I can carry you of course. You need rest, you are unwell."

I snorted. "I know you. The second I close my eyes you'll have me shipped off to God knows where."

"I only have your best interest in mind."

"Maybe you need to stop focusing on trying to protect me and try to figure out a way out of this shit." I told him. "If your brother's coming like you said then you need all the help you can get."

He chuckled; the sound vibrating along my spine and sending tingles down to my toes. "You are unable to stand without aid Tony, how can you be of any help to me?"

I shook my head, looking out over at the wolf camp below. It was different here; the feel of it. Not cold and unfeeling like Rien's coven, but familial almost; the constant howling of the wolves; as terrifying as it sounded was strangely comforting; reassuring. It was a reminder that you weren't alone. I could see why the wolves lived in packs. Everyone you loved in close proximity.

"You're still thinking of me as this scrawny, useless little brat following you around everywhere like some lost little puppy." I said. "but I've had five years to change. I'm not the boy you knew back then Rien."

He was silent for a long time. The only movement being the slow rise and fall of his chest, then I felt the brush of his hand down my arm and up again, slowly as if he were trying to memorize the feel of my skin.

"You were never useless...only fragile and you still are."

"Th—"

"It is not an insult Tony." He interrupted. "I am only stating the facts. You are human and to us— the blood-drinkers and the wolves— you are easily broken."

"You said Noah is a hunter...he's human so why is he unbreakable?"

"Noah has been trained to hunt our kind since he was young enough to lift an arrow. He is breakable but he will not be broken."

I shook my head and when I shifted to move away from him, his arms tightened around me and he pulled me back.

"You only hear insult in my words but you know that is not my intention. I know you are strong; in body and in mind—generally—but at this very moment you are unwell and—"