Chapter 10: Use of Force.

Chapter 10

“It is as if you will never learn. Father has gone out of his way to forgive you for your indiscretion yet you mock his mercy, you are a disgrace.” Kandane spat, his expression equally as disgusted as his tone.

“Mercy? You think this is mercy? He has practically ripped my mate from my arms!”

“Leave the dramatics to Peitre Riener, it is not as amusing on you.” Jorlon drawled in a bored tone. He lay on his side, his body stretched out on the love seat with his head propped in his hand.

”Father has done you a favor-” Kandane continued and I was quick to cut him short.

“He has done me no such pleasure. I am being forced to connect with someone who can never truly be my mate. He has threatened Tony’s life and now expects that I carry out the remainder of my own here with the likes of you all.” I laughed without mirth. “You call that a favor? You see that as being merciful?”

The remainder of your life? You speak as if you shall one day die.” Jorlon laughed and I shot him a glare which he ignored.

Marcan sighed from his seat across the room. “I grow bored of this weak banter. The fact of the matter is that you left the court before the permitted time. Those worthy warriors fought long and hard for your approval and you had the audacity to leave them without so much as a fraction of praise. It was disgraceful, had I not witnessed it with my own two eyes I would not have believed it myself.”

“Tony needed me.”

Jorlon scoffed. “When will you do away with your fantasies of a life with the human? He can never be yours do you not see it? You are betrothed to the worthiest of warriors. You are meant for greater things.”

Betrothed Jorlon? What century do you believe us to be in?” Marcan teased.

Jorlon waved him off. “Betrothed, destined, forced, the words mean nothing and everything, what is important is that you fulfill our father’s wishes and you carry out your duty. You disappointed us all when you left court. Do not let it happen again.”

What was the point of arguing with the lot of them if they refused to consider a word I was said? I fell silent, watching them each in turn, hating them for their own unfounded hatred of me.

None of them flinched under my scrutiny.

“If you are all finished lecturing me I would like you to leave, I will never understand why you all go out of your way to preach to me when you so clearly despise me. It only makes the lot of you even more bitter.”

I didn’t stand when they did, instead, I impolitely allowed them to rise, watching their departing backs. Before they reached the door however, Jorlon turned to face me. “We are your brothers, we love you…it is your actions that we despise.” He looked me in the eyes as he said the words, then departed with the others a short while later.

They would of course never understand, their mates were all chosen for them and they accepted their duty without blinking, but only because they had never known what it felt like to really care for another and of course because they feared our father too much to oppose him.

I stood, straightening my robes before moving to fetch an apple from the kitchen-Tony always favored the things- then I quietly made my way up the staircase and into his room where he lay unmoving. Half the day had passed him by and he had yet to part ways with the bed.

“I took the liberty of bringing you an apple.” I said into the silence of the room. He said nothing, just continued to lay there on his side, his eyes planted on the window. I deposited the fruit onto a nearby table and made my way over to him. He hadn’t said much since the night before and I suppose the fault was mine.