Chapter Fifteen

The next day

I watched as Nina, Jackson, and Heidi played together on the front lawn. They were pretending to growl and roar and I watched as little Nina seemed to be doing her best to win whatever game they were playing. Heidi and her were tumbling around as if in a mock battle for dominance as they laughed and screeched while Jackson picked at a flower he had found cheering the two small females on.

I had wanted to take Lilith for a small stroll but she had wanted to watch the kids play. I hadn't been able to tell her no. I glanced at her from the corner of my eye and she tilted her head, the hood of my hoodie nearly falling off. "I like babies." She said it in a sort of wistful sigh and I reached over unable to help myself as I rubbed her back. She tilted her head slightly, the hood sliding off completely to showcase her hair. It was starting to get tangled again.

"We need to brush your hair out again." It had taken me a long time to get her hair smooth and straight and I didn't particularly like the thought of having to spend that much time again. She had been patient with me but I also knew I had yanked and pulled on her hair a bit too much for my comfort. "Perhaps we can put it into a braid?" I resisted the urge to reach up and brush her hair back as I pulled my hands behind my back, clasping them together.

"I like my hair down." It was said almost clipped and I gave a short nod to that and looked away from her to where the three toddlers were playing.

"Okay, Lilith. It can stay down." I wouldn't force it onto her, she could do what she wished, even if it meant I would pick out the tangles from her hair later.

"Can I brush your hair after you brush mine?" She asked it so lightly that I found a small smile crawling across my face.

I glanced over a her and she was looking at me with her eyes that full and startling blue catching my attention before I nodded. "If you want to brush my hair, you can." I ran a hand over my hair almost a tad embarrassed. I hadn't really had anyone brush my hair since I was a child. I knew it would be an interesting feeling.

"I can?" Excitement pitched up the end of her voice and a small chuckle rumbled my chest as I nodded my assent. "That makes me happy." The statement was so sweet and soft that I felt myself reaching over and rubbing her back again. I found myself overly concerned with her happiness and comfort, not to mention her protection.

It was such a different feeling than what I had with Catherine. With Catherine it was the feeling of wanting to stand beside her, to take on life together, with Lilith it was a bone deep need to ensure that nothing of our world hurt her more than she already was. I had always wanted to care for Catherine, I had but with Lilith the intensity was different. I wanted Catherine with every aspect of my being, I was drawn to her and I was drawn to her form. There was none of that with Lilith.

Yes, sometimes I wanted to reach out and touch her but it was a hand to her back, grasping her hand in my own, pulling her into an embrace, or brushing her hair from her face. I wanted to take care of her, make sure she was 100% okay and fine. I wasn't sure if there was anything about her form that I found uncontrollably arousing at this point. Perhaps it was simply the bond realizing there was things we needed to take care of first before there could be that. I was surprisingly fine with it. I knew Lilith was in no state of mind to have that type of relationship and so I was glad I didn't have the bond riding me to bring that about. It was almost peaceful in a way.

"Are the children behaving?" At the short and rather clipped voice I looked towards the mountain Alpha Female. Her form was stiff and she cradled her youngest female to her chest. The sling was nearly covering her but she cooed happily, her little chubby legs and arms moving.