26- How Things Changed

The wood cracks, the end breaking off into my iron grip.

Gray's eyes widen as he looks down at the table and he lifts out of his eased position by sitting up and glaring at me.

"What the heck is wrong with you?"

I fall with a thump into the seat across from him and lean back.

I close my eyes.

I did it.

I really did!

I can practically feel the weight lifting off of me as the tension I felt from earlier slowly fades away, leaving my muscles to relax.

"Natsu, are you alright?"

I nod my head.

I am okay, actually. I didn't have to witness Lucy's life leaving her as all I could do was watch. Instead I did something and now she's still out there.

"Yeah. Yeah I am."

Gray speaks slowly and scratches the side of his head awkwardly.

"Okay...so then maybe you should fix the table?"

I lift my head up and glance at the piece that fell to the ground after I broke it off.

"Oh. Yeah, maybe. Or you could just freeze it back on there and someone else can worry about it later?"

He deadpans, looking at me with an annoyed expression.

"And why would I do that?"

My happiness slowly starts to morph into annoyance at Gray.

"Because I asked you to."

He laughs sarcastically.

"Right..."

I glare at him.

"What's up with you today?"

Gray's expression switches to baffled and he leans forward.

"What's up with you?!"

I lean forward and glare at him.

"Nothing! All I did was ask you to fix the table for me!"

He leans forward more, our foreheads only inches apart as we yell at each other.

"And I said no!"

My jaw clenches angrily and I press my hands flat down on the table, getting ready to stand up and most likely get into a fight with Gray when a voice booms over both of us.

"What's going on here?"

Gray freezes, panic appearing on his face. He quickly sits back down into his seat.

I glance over at Erza, who watches questioningly from the edge of the table. I sigh and slowly sit back into my seat.

She pulls up a chair from another table and sits down at the edge, her hands crossing on the table in front of her.

"How come you boys can't seem to get along? You rarely talk and when you do it's because you're arguing."

Gray crosses his arms and rolls his eyes.

"I don't know. I think something's wrong with Natsu today. First thing he did when he barged in here was sit next to me and now he won't stop talking to me."

I glare at him and my fists tighten on the table. Part of me wants to lunge forward at him but Erza's voice keeps me in place.

"Maybe Natsu's feeling lonely?"

Gray chuckles under his breath and I give him a pointed look before looking back to Erza.

"What are you talking about?"

She eyes me with pity like I'm some sort of child and it makes my jaw clench.

"Ever since Carla finally started warming up to Happy he's been going on jobs with them. Since you've been going on jobs by yourself I thought maybe you were feeling a bit left out?"

Gray pipes in before I can say anything.

"I'm not sure why he's talking to me. Go talk to someone else. I'm not about to work with you."

My jaw practically drops and Erza slaps the back of his head. His arms uncross and he looks down at the table with a pout, mumbling under his breath.

"Just because Happy doesn't want to babysit him doesn't mean I'm going to."

My muscles strain with anger.

"I don't know what your problem is, Gray, but I've had enough of you!"

I start to stand up but Erza puts a hand on my shoulder and forces me back down. She pushes an angry smile on her face.

"You know what? I've had enough of both of you arguing. You've been like this ever since we were kids but you're adults now. So we're all three going to go on a job and you guys will learn to get along."

Gray uncrosses his arms and sits up, a perplexed look appearing on his face.

"No way!"

Erza's fist slams against the table causing Gray to slowly sit back down and keep his mouth shut.

"I didn't ask! Now let's go. Both of you."

She stands up and gives both of us a threatening look warning us not to disobey. Gray stands up without a word and follows silently behind her to the request board.

Even after everything she'll still kick my butt if I don't listen.

I sigh and follow behind them.

I stand silently behind them as they mull through all of the requests.

What exactly happened in the three years I skipped by?

Obviously things changed without Lucy here but I don't remember any of it. So what exactly was it like?

"Taking jobs by yourself"

Have I really?

I'd never take jobs alone. I always had Happy and then Lucy. Plus Gray and Erza went on jobs with us too but Erza and Gray make it sound like we never go on jobs together.

A lot of things are different now, huh?

I frown.

It feels like I don't really have anyone to talk to.

"Natsu?"

Erza holds up a job in front of me, asking for approval and I nod my head.

"Sure."

She walks over to the bar and Mira looks up from what she was doing.

"Hey, Erza. Going on a job?"

She smiles and nods, handing Mira the paper.

"I'm taking these boys on a job to get them to cooperate."

A surprised look appears on her face but she quickly masks it with a smile.

"You three teaming up...you guys could probably be Fairy Tail's strongest team. I'm actually surprised you three haven't gone on a job together before."

My eyes widen.

"Me, Happy, Erza, Gray and Lucy! We're Fairy Tail's strongest team!"

My body stills. A cool sweat forms on my forehead and my hands grow clammy.

No.

"No we're not."

They all three look at me and silence ensues. Mira smiles awkwardly and hands Erza back the paper.

"Well...good luck to you three."

Erza drags her gaze away from me to say goodbye to Mira and we all head out the doors without a word.