f o u r t e e n

Like always, I woke up to the bed empty beside me. I knew that Noah had slept beside me because we had crashed the minute we got home. Yawning as I exited the bathroom after feeling somewhat refreshed, I almost felt my soul leave my body when I found Juliette sitting on Noah's bed, dangling her feet as she stared out the window with a longing look.

I frowned, somewhat concerned for the child as I approached her cautiously, claiming a spot in front of her as I went on my knees. "What's wrong, Juliette?"

Juliette casted me a look of longing and sadness as she released a loud sigh. "Noah promised to take me to an amusement park."

I raised a brow. "Where is he?"

Juliette shrugged, a sad frown resting on her lips as she fiddled with her polka dot dress. "Je ne sais pas."
[Je ne sais pas = I don't know].

It took me a while to understand what she had just said but the minute I got it, I had reassured her that Noah was probably planning something else for her and that she need not to worry. I then proceeded to taking her downstairs and made her pancakes with maple syrup, something my mother would always make for me when I was a child. I missed those times.

Juliette was digging into her pancakes and I was just finishing up with the dishes when heavy footsteps sounded from afar, making Juliette and I turn our heads to the direction the sound was coming from. Noah -who was shirtless- was sweaty from head to toe, his abs adorned in sweat and his running shorts reaching his knee cap. My heart almost jumped to my throat when he threw me a very small smile then kissed Juliette on the forehead.

"I went out for a jog," he said, looking at Juliette who was giving him the stink eye.

She flared her nostrils at him. "You said you'd take me to the park."

Noah chuckled. "I will, baby girl, I promise. I just have to shower and change and I'll take you, okay?"

Juliette nodded with a strained smile as if she was trying to fight back her grin. A second later, I almost flinched when she started squealing excitedly as she danced around our room, causing Noah to chuckle before heading up the stairs.

Half an hour later, Juliette had come down dressed as a princess with her brunette hair tied up in a bun and a sky blue puffy dress adorning her tiny body. Noah, on the other hand, was dressed in his usual attire which consisted of a black suit and tie.

Tucking the files back into their folder, I quickly signed off the paper in front of me before handing it to Karlo who seemed to be immersed in his own little world. Noah walked over to me and slid on the seat beside me, chin propped up as Karlo quickly excused himself, giving Juliette a kind smile when he passed by.

"Wanna go to Disneyland with us?" Juliette asked with eyes that shimmered in the light.

I couldn't help but shake my head. "I'm sorry, I've got work to do."

Disappointment danced in her blue eyes as she pouted, causing Noah to chuckle beside me. I turned to him with a frown on my face as he quickly placed both his hands in the air as if admitting defeat. "Woah, the conflict is between you and the child."

I rolled my eyes. "You guys should get going now before you come home late."

Noah shook his head in amusement. "I booked a room there for the night. You should come and enjoy Disneyland."