s e v e n

A S T O R I A

I knew I was awake the moment sleep ceased almost immediately when I felt movement in my room. Keeping my eyes closed, I inhaled slowly as I reached for my dagger under the pillow before ever-so slowly opening my one of my eyes, tightening my grip around the hilt.

The moment my eyes snapped open, I turned my body and aimed the dagger at the movement behind me. The invader let out a scream of fright as my jaw dropped at my mother who froze in place, the dagger implanted on the wood just above her head.

"Mom!" I screamed, scrambling out of my bed as I went to the ground and to shake my mother's shoulders. Her breathing was heavy and her eyes were wide with terror. I couldn't help but laugh. "I'm sorry! I thought you were like an enemy!"

"Astoria Mia Moretti, why do you have a dagger under your pillow?!" my mother yelled as I heard heavy footsteps climb the stairs by two. My father appeared at the bedroom door in just seconds.

I bit my lip. "You know, you can never be too careful."

"What on earth?" my father questioned, his eyes dancing around the scene.

My mother closed her eyes and made a cross in the air. "God zegene mijn mooie ziel."
[God zegene mijn mooie ziel = God bless my beautiful soul]

"Oh, moeder, I'm sorry, okay?"
[Moeder = mother]

My mother rolled her eyes, taking my father's offered hand as he helped her to her feet. She looser a breath before a wide smile placed on her lips, my father holding something behind his back while his free hand snaked around my mother's shoulders. "Turn around."

Slowly turning around, my heart skipped a beat at the letters CEO in pink balloons floating in the air and my jaw dropped. I turned around to find my father holding a thin file as I quickly took it and squealed in delight, my eyes scanning each and every letter on the document over and over again.

"Am I really?!"

My father nodded, kissing my forehead. "Congratulations, Mia. You are officially the CEO of Moretti Industries. The paper has been finalised last night."

"Oh my god!" I screamed as I kissed both of my parents' cheeks and danced on my bed, kissing the document.

My father chuckled. "Get dressed and come downstairs, breakfast awaits."

I bit my lip and nodded in excitement.

After getting out of the shower and changing into a more comfortable attire which consisted of grey sweatpants and a white singlet, I had tossed my hair up in a messy bun. The foods were already on the table as my father sat at the end of the dining table and my mother sat on his right. I took my place on his left.

"So, I got a call from Noah yesterday," my father said, placing a pancake piece inside his mouth as my eyes lit up. I poured myself a glass of orange juice as my father swallowed. "He wants to push the wedding date back and I agreed."

I loosed a breath of relief and the second I was relaxed, my shoulders immediately tensed before remembering the other half of our deal. I cleared my throat and stared at my engagement ring and sighed. "I have something to say too."