Chapter 30: Devils Assassin.

Zuri shook her sister awake. Their eyes went heavy with sleep before they could chop the first onion or fry the first fish-finger so they agreed to eat jam sandwiches before they slept. Gemma groaned and turned away.
"Gemma." Zuri shook her gently
"Mhmmmh?" Came a muffled response.
"Don't mhmmmh me. Wake up someone is in the house." Zuri whispered failing to hide the urgency in her voice.
"Gun them down." She mumbled. Zuri sighed and rolled her eyes.
"Seriously, after the incident earlier? Gun them down?." With every word Zuri pinched her randomly. Gemma snapped and sprung out of bed.
"Damn it, I'm awake okay. Happy now?!" She yelled. All Zuri did was smile.
"I hate it when you do that." Gemma complained before rolling out of bed and throwing on a baggy t-shirt and pants.

"Who is it?" Gemma asked as she peeped from the stairs. She turned her gaze to Zuri who shrugged and suggested.
"Lets take  'em down."
Gemma gave a thumbs up and proceeded with speed and caution, Zuri close behind. The person was rummaging in the kitchen talking to themself.  Gemma crept closer and closer mindful of the spoons and knives littered on the once clean floor. More spoons went flying, cupboards were swung open and then banged shut with the occasional grunts and whispers
"Where is it?" The voice was vaguely familiar. Gemma squatted to pick up what she hoped would be a knife when the light turned on.

"Dad? Aren't you supposed to be at work till tomorrow?" She was bemused, Gemma could tell by the look on her face.
"Yes Zuri my dear I am, I'm just looking for that small USB. Have you seen it?" He looked down at the squatting girl.
"Hey Gemma have you seen a USB here?."
He scratched the back of his head in worry.
"No. Not at all Mr. Nyx." She quickly stood up, totally disappointed it wasn't a  'kill-able' person.
"Well I have an hour to find it and be back at the studio by 11:30."
"An hour?" Zuri thought aloud.
"Hey dad. I have a quick question for you." She spoke directly to him
"Make it quick."
"Are you and Ingrid my biological parents?" Silence spread like mist in the house and occupied the place like an awkward visitor. Mr. Nyx released a long hard earned sigh to kill off the silence.
"Can this wait, my darling?" He begged
"No dad. You can tell me while looking for the USB." She stated in a matter-of-factly voice, her arms folded to show she's serious. The mesomorph man rubbed the temples of his cadaverous face before releasing yet another sigh.

"Tomorrow you turn 18. I was going to tell you this tomorrow but since your impatience is getting the better of you... lets all sit down for this loooooooooooooong story." He lead the way to the sofas in the living room and waited for Gemma to be seated before he could say.

"Ingrid and I were a happy couple but couldn't have kids so we decided to adopt. We went to the orphanage and adopted you Zuri. We were notified that you had a twin, but judging by your age which was only one year-old we saw it wouldn't affect you. Your name was Kate back then but we decided to rename you Zuri after your mother's great great grandma and I named you Ingrid after the accident she was involved in. When you ... found Gemma I took strands of your hair and swabs of spit in your sleep for DNA testing and...-" he stood up
"And?" Gemma asked but her question was put on hold. He traveled up the stairs into his room, rummaged a little and returned with an A4 brown sealed envelope.
"How did you know it was your dad?" Gemma whispered
"I could tell because I took the USB from the kitchen drawer now hush." Zuri whispered back.

Mr. Nyx sat back down and peeled open the envelope to take out papers and hand them to his adopted daughter. They scanned the papers. Adoption forms then the DNA test results. Zuri stiffled a gasp of surprise.
"99.99%. We actually are twins Gemma."
"So we are. Why was I not adopted Mr.  Nyx." Gemma asked through narrowed eyes and tightened lips. A knock on the door stopped him before he could answer.
"Who could that be at this hour?" He mumbled as he shuffled to the door. He opened it slowly then wider.
"Who are you?"he spat
"Im...I'm Lucas Uciferlwayne." A smooth voice answered.
"And want do you want?"
"Umm, I'm here to see Ms Cortez."
"There are no Ms' s by that surname. This is a Nyx household." His voice was as firm as his position.
"Dad. Did you check the pantry for the USB?" Zuri blurted out
"I'll check. After this boy leaves." He slammed the door shut anyway and walked away. Zuri kept him occupied in the kitchen while Gemma reopened the door and stepped outside and went to the flower filled backyard.

"Lucifer." She tried hiding any emotion
"Kayla,  Gemma." He greeted, his voice was smooth and calm.
"Gemma's fine." She replied eyeing him from him tanker vest to his boots. His defined muscles and face seducing her beneath the moonlight. Gemma caught him admiring her hourglass shaped body. Her beautifully brown hair and eyes which twinkled under the ivory waxing crescent moon.
"I have something I want to ask you. Ever since I saw your twelfth kill." He spoke as softly as the breeze that swept by. Gemma faltered in hiding her emotion, she was mesmerized. A strand of hair fell, disrupting her eyesight.
"What? Why did you help me earlier?"her voice went soft as she realised an inevitable truth. Lucifer took a deep breath and began speaking again.

"The way you kill is unique, its more like a game than a job. I can tell you enjoy it." He paused to catch a breath of fresh air before going down on one knee and presenting to her an ivory katana with her assassin name branded on the blade in cursive. The weapon seemed to materialize out of nothing leaving sparks in its wake. 

"Gemma Nyx, will you do me the honor of being my assassin. The Devils Assassin?"

Thank you for reading lovely wattpadders, hope you enjoyed as much as I did. Please help me improve by commenting and dont forget sharing is caring.

STAY SAFE ASSASSINS you never know