Chapter 11: Someone with the same power

Laila POV

"What are you doing here?" I asked Henry.

"I just happened to be here." was the only thing he said.

"It's okay. I can just take the cab." I can see that Tina was about to argue when Henry beats her to it

"Really Laila. We're going the same way anyway." I know that he wouldn't take no for an answer and that Tina wouldn't allow me to go alone so I just nodded my head in agreement.

It was a silent drive for the first few moments until he decided to make an end of it.

"It's a good thing no one ever mentioned about my confession right?" He tried to laugh it off but he sounded like he was choking.

I glared at him for actually bringing that one up, "You know you're stupid for actually doing that crazy thing Clarisse made you do."

"What other things do you think will work that will make them stop talking about you and Jeremy?"

"You could have just told them that you swear by god there was nothing going on because if there was I would have confided with you. That could work since everyone knows we're so close." I reasoned out with him.

He was quiet as he pondered about it. He startled me when he suddenly smack the stirring wheel making a thud sound.

"Why didn't I think of that? Laila can I ask you something," I nodded my head for him to continue. "What did happened between you and Jeremy that you are deadset on not having anything to do with him?"

I stared out the window watching buildings pass by, "What happened was something I don't want to remember. I was just hanging by a thread then and I'm pretending to be someone that Jeremy wants me to be. I was suffocating and because I felt I'm beneath him that I can't speak out. I was so insecure back then that I couldn't even confess the truth to him."

I held back the tear that was clouding my vision. Just thinking about them made my heart race and I felt like I'm drowning. Henry knew what happened to me back then but only gits of it.

He pats my back with his free hand as he tries to calm me down. "So that explains his actions. It is because he doesn't have any idea what really happened then."

It was what I think was right because even if he did know, there was nothing Jer can ever do.

"But Laila, that wasn't still a big enough reason for you to leave him."

A tear finally escaped from my eyes as I looked at Henry. I know that he was just concerned and curious but that part of my past was something I'd rather want to stay buried underneath the lies and the cover-ups.

"I left because he almost killed himself in front of me."

That statement alone ended the conversation.

*************************

"Do I really have to be here?"

For the hundred times today, Clarisse complained as she dragged her feet to follow me around.

"I always go with you whenever you go shopping and I didn't even ask you to come. You promised yourself you'll help me today so you've got to keep that promise as I always keep mine." I cannot hide the victory smile I had on my lips. It is rare for me to have something against her.

She rolled her eyes and kept grunting. She was about to say something when a new voice joined us.

"Laila!" I turned around to see a familiar face.