Chapter 88: The Lunch

A/N: Song "Hotter than Hell," by Dua Lipa.

Anna

I slipped in the dining room just in time. Of course, the Maddox brothers would put our table in the middle of the room. They still think that the world revolves around them. My seat between Aiden and Anthony was waiting for me. I walked down to the table and greeted Tobias, his mate Veronica, Abigail, Adam, Aiden, Wilder, Anthony, and Kevin; and sat down on my chair. Everyone looks so formal.

"Just on time. The food will be here soon," Kevin said.

I smiled and nodded, then straightened Aiden's tie. "Aiden, every day you get more handsome."

Aiden smiled and mumbled thanks.

"Aren't you going to compliment us as well?" Anthony signaled himself and Kevin. They were wearing matching outfits.

"Kevin, you look super handsome! Tony, you look... ehh... Okay, I guess."

Everyone laughed while Anthony grumbled something underneath his breath.

I laughed and tapped Anthony's shoulder. Then, I froze. He is looking at me. I turned around and met my mate's intense gaze. He flashed me a sad smile and mind-linked me. 'You look stunning, my beloved.' He was sitting with a group of Alphas and Betas from neighboring packs and their mates. I smiled at him and his face lightened up. He is so cute. Somehow, I managed to tear my gaze away from his.

Anthony and basically everyone else on the table gave me knowing looks. "What?" I sipped some water trying to look casual.

Two pack members placed plates with food in front of Anthony and I. Benefits of being council members, I guess. My mouth watered at the sight of the potato salad, fried asparagus, and steak, but I waited for everyone else at the table to get their food. Larentia kept on nagging me to go sit with Caleb.

I focused on their conversation. They were talking about resources, treaties, and rogues. Caleb had gone back to the conversation and he seemed to be convincing one of the Alphas to work together on some project. His tone of voice was different to the one I was used to hearing – lower, colder and serious, a businessman tone of voice. I shouldn't interrupt him.

Larentia whined. 'Bring him here!'

'I'll go say hi! Okay?'

'Good enough.'

I chatted with my tablemates while waited for the room's atmosphere to be more relaxed. Once the room filled with the murmur of casual conversation, I pushed myself back, getting ready to stand up from the chair.

"What is it, Anna?" asked Veronica with a nervous smile that made me a little guilty. Luna Veronica seems a little on edge. She has spent so much time planning this. I don't want to add up to that.

I smiled at her. "I am going to greet someone. I'll be right back."

I stood up and strode toward Caleb. My eyes were on him. It was as if he was the only person in the room. A couple of steps later, I was by his table. He stared at me, his forehead scrunched up, with one eyebrow slightly raised and his lips pursed. I greeted everyone with a smile.

Caleb smiled back at me but before he could talk, one of the Alphas stood up and extended his hand, which I shook. He must be a new Alpha. Caleb didn't look happy.

"Council member Amores-Lobo. What a pleasant surprise to have you visit our table. The rumors about your beauty make you no justice." His grip lingered just the just amount of time to make me uncomfortable.

I pulled my hand away keeping the smile on my face and instinctively took a step toward my mate. "Thank you. I came here to greet Alpha Caleb, actually. We are very close." I put a hand on his shoulder and his scowl changed into that boyish smile of his.

The other Alpha snickered and sat down.

"What is so funny?" His behavior was getting on my nerves.

"You shouldn't waste your time on him. Haven't you heard the rumors? He isn't interested in having a Luna for his pack. He says mates are liabilities. However, if you want to be a Luna, I would gladly accept you. My father has talked about you. He met you once and said that you would make a great housewife and Luna."

Where have I heard that before? Oh, right. Alpha Wallace. That chauvinistic pig who doesn't deserve a mate so awesome like Luna Marilyn. But, Marylin did save my life by calling Alex. "Oh! Haven't you heard the rumor?"

"Which rumor?"

Everyone on the table was looking at me now. Nosy werewolves.

"I am about to become a nun. By the way, say hello to Luna Marylin for me. I absolutely adore her." I grinned and his smile faded. Caleb choked with water. Every time I am going to say something serious, he decides to drink or eat something. Silly goose.

"Why would you do that?" the annoying and now confused Alpha said.

"Greet your mom?"

"Become a nun."

To keep power-hungry males away from me? I wanted to say, but I just smiled. "I just came to greet my favorite Alpha, not to talk about my personal life." I turned to my mate who seemed to be fighting off a smile. "Enjoy your meal, Caleb."

I waved to the rest of the people and went back to my table.

'Very smooth,' Anthony mind linked.

'I swear sometimes I feel as if I had two wolves in my head.'

Abigail high-fived me before I sat down and they all began teasing me through the mindlink. So frigging annoying.