Chapter 74: "Friends"

Anna

November 30,

I was sipping cold water as I rested from the physical therapy. I felt accomplished. That day, I was finally able to walk on my own without losing my footing or staggering. It might seem like something small, but I knew that it was a step closer to being myself again.

"Don't sip Anna. That gives you gases." Oliver said in his usual stern voice.

Oh, yes. He was here sitting next to me on the couch. We were in the room that my brother had kindly adapted for my physical therapy. Last time I saw him, he was freaking out about how to change a diaper. Ha! Poor him.

"My water. My gases. My business," I said sipping some more water while keeping my gaze on Oliver. Yes. Oliver is nice, but also very serious. People used to say that we were like a comedy show. Me, being all talkative and messy, and he, being so proper and quiet.

He chuckled softly and ran his fingers through a lock of my hair. "As you wish. Did you finish any of the books I gave you last week?"

I put his hand on his lap and gave him a nasty look. I have always been kind of mean with Oliver; That is why I did not want us to be friends at the beginning. He could misunderstand. However, somehow, after spending so much time together, we have become somewhat close again.

"I finished all of them. You only gave me three. I've gotten a lot of free time," I said, hinting that I want more books. Okay, maybe we have become good friends again.

"What do you think?" he asked a little bit too excited.

"I loved them. Thank you," I said honestly. He had given me 'Firestarter' by Stephen King, 'Adam' by Ted Dekker, and 'Three Lifetimes' by Kerbasi.

"I am glad," he said smiling. "Which one was your favorite?"

"Three Lifetimes. I know it is not a professional book, but gosh it was so beautiful."

I was swooning over that book to be honest. A couple had to live three completely different lifetimes in different worlds as different people, but they always found each other and fell in love. It was touching.

"I knew you would prefer that one!" He pointed his index finger at me and smirked.

I put my hands up as in defeat. "You know I am a sucker for sappy dramas. I love love!" I gave him a silly smile.

He chuckled and cupped my cheeks. "I know that very well, mi corazón." He put his forehead against mine and looked me at the eye. His breath fanning over my mouth.

I stiffened and averted my gaze. We had been doing so well keeping the boundaries and just having small light talk. These kind of things were exactly why I did not want to be "friends" with him.

He let go of my face and peered at my eyes. "Sorry. Force of habit, Anna."

He was still too close, but he did not seem to mind that. Lately I have beginning to become more aware of his presence, even more than when we were dating. It was a strange feeling, as if something was growing between us.

"Get out..." I whispered.

"What?"

"Get out of here!" I yelled.

"Anna. That was a mistake."

"No. It was a mistake to allow you to get close to me these months. We both know how this is going to end. I love him! I do not want to hurt you anymore."