Chapter 38: Cute

Anna

It was Saturday and I had been holed up in my apartment the whole day. Today is the day! I am making that rice with chicken. I have been practicing the whole week and the police officers had not have to come back even once. I call that progress. Kathe taught me some basic things on Thursday before training. I can do this!

I could not do that. Let's just forget I ever said I was going to cook. How can someone possibly be so bad at something? I was now curled in a ball on my bed holding back tears while the dish washer washed my pain away, along with the dishes. 

I stood up and sighed. I needed to go grocery shopping again. I drove to the store and grabbed the ingredients I needed. The clerk gave me a pity look and offered to ell me the ingredients in bulk size. I scoffed and declined. This time it will work. Or maybe... I ended up buying things for three more batches. 

I put the groceries in my car and got into the car. I was about to drive away when someone hopped in the passenger's seat. 

"Chris. What the f... are you doing here?"

"Language, teacher. I just were walking by and saw you so I decided to drop by to see your pretty face while I can."

"Whatever silly plan you have is not going to work. Stop being so petty."

"Aw, but it is already working. We are just waiting for the right moment now." He winked at me.

"Chris." I pointed my index finger at his chest and frowned. "Do something to step between Caleb and I and I will kill you."

Chris laughed and pushed my hand away lightly. "I was kidding. Just kidding. I actually wanted to ask you for advice."

"Advice?"

"Advice with my mate. I am getting her back."

I laughed. If he paid as much attention to her life as he does with mine, he would know that she is already dating someone else. "Sure, sure. Get out of my car."

"But Anna..."

"Chris, get the fuck out of my car."

He blew me a kiss and left without saying anything else. I sighed and brushed my fingers from my forehead and the sides of my face. I hate that kid. He is so shady. I drove back to my apartment. As soon as the door closed I stripped down. I put on some comfortable clothes and read out loud the steps of the recipe. I will do this! 

The third batch... and I got it! The rice with chicken is finally ready and it even tastes good. I was so happy that I began jumping and dancing to imaginary music.  Someone knocked on the door. I turned off the stove and I went to open it. My sense of smell is all numb for being cooking all day. I could not smell who it was. Otherwise, I would have tried to look decent.

"Oh, Anna. You are here! I was so worried." Caleb pulled me into a loving hug. I could only catch a glimpse of what he was holding in his right hand. A rose?

"Why were you worried?" I asked.

"We were supposed to meet at 5:30 PM and it is 6:45 PM. You were not answering the phone. I thought something had happened to you." He let go of me and peeked at my face. "Are you okay?"

"I was just cooking and lost track of time." I shifted my weight nervously.

Caleb smiled brilliantly. "It smells almost as delicious as you." He gave me the flower he was holding. "A red rosebud represents pure love." I sniffed the rose and smiled. He kissed my forehead.