Chapter 11~The Collars

Chapter Eleven~The Collars

I slowly awoke to find the blinding sun beating down on me.

I groaned and stood up and stretched, glancing around at my companions. Tazan was up and was examining my teeth marks on his book.

Oops.

Iggy was finally out of his kennel and currently ignoring me. Hey, if he thought that was a punishment, I was all for it.

Tazan turned to me and pointed at the teeth marks. "Were you chewing my book?" His tone was stern, but he was smiling.

I rolled over on my stomach and gave a playful swipe at the book.

"I'll take that as a yes," he chuckled. He paused as I heard the pilots voice (at least, I thought so) through to speakers.

"We will be arriving shortly. Please put your pets back in their cages."

What pets?

I dodged around Tazan's hands and jumped up on his shoulder and peered over the seat.

There were native and definitely not native pets. And the colours! So many colours! Reds, blues, yellows, violet and an eye blinding green. There was almost like a mini bear, but with purple feathers. There was a bird shaped body curled up in a seat, but without the wings.

But something stood out to me immediately. A sleek, black body held in a female aliens arms. It looked familiar... my mind still had a fog of sleep over it.

What is that?

I was interrupted by being grabbed and shoved rudely in my kennel. I hissed in annoyance.

I turned my back to the door and ignored everyone for the descent down.

When the plane finally landed, Tazan picked up both our kennels and was the first one off, so I didn't get another look at the other pets.

He walked through the airport and finally burst outside. To my relief He stopped and pulled us both out of our kennels and said sternly, "stay."

Iggy obediently sat down and watched him with wide red eyes. I had other ideas. I peered around and padded a few steps away. I glanced back and saw that the kennels were gone and Tazan was tucking something into his pocket. "Rusty! Get back here now!"

No way if your speaking to me like that!

Iggy narrowed his eyes and hissed; "come back. Or else," he added, unfurling his wings.

I lifted my snout into the air and stalked away, not ever wanting to see Iggy again.

Tazan sighed and tapped the ground lightly. "Rusty, come." He said softly.

I stopped and tilted my head.

Hmmm. I see what he's doing.

But my thoughts were interrupted by my stomach rumbling. This body barely ever got hungry. Or at least, I was so busy fighting off Iggy that I kinda ignored my stomach. It was also because I detested the food Tazan gave me—lettuce. Ugh.

(Slightly violent here, just incase)
I stilled and pricked my ears towards a bush. Was that— yes! It is! A mouse! Time to test out my hunting skills.

I crouched and slinked along the ground, not worrying about how much noise I would make; I was on concrete.

The mouse poked out of the bush and I pounced; snapping its neck in one bite.

I turned back towards Tazan with my prize in my mouth.

Tazan stares at me in shock. Iggy hissed and growled; "two moons, Fern! What are you going to do with that?"

What is it with the saying 'two moons'? Whatever.

I padded over to him and dropped the mouse. "Eat it?" I said uncertainly.

"Ew! That's just gross!" Iggy exclaimed, and wasted no time in shedding away from me.

"Look who's the big hunter now, huh girl? Your so smart," Tazan praises me, petting my back.

He reached into his pocket and pulls out a rusty coloured collar. He gently fastened it around Iggy's neck.

I know what's coming...

He then pulls out a dark grey collar and grabs me when I was in mid-stride. "Get back here. I can't trust you," He said, clipping the collar on.

"There," He sat back in satisfaction, "now you're matching."

I realized why are collars where those colours; Iggy has a rusty colour collar for me; and a have a splotchy grey collar for him.

This couldn't get any worse...