Chapter Seventy-Three

MANNA

As Manna watched them drag Karina from the room, she felt her heart breaking. She wondered if she would ever see the child again, if the last image she would have, of the girl she so loved, would be that of her pained face crying out in despair. And so Manna smiled at her student. She would not have Karina haunted by that same grief she herself would carry to the grave. The girl's life was only just beginning after all. 

Manna had smiled with every once of love she felt for the child she had raised as her own, hoping that the effort might give the girl at least some small comfort. To help Karina see that she had fully accepted her fate. That she was at peace. But once Karina was gone Manna could feel her strength drain from her body. She wondered how long she could possibly remain standing in front of these men who had condemned her.

Avery must have seen her slipping. He put a protective hand on her back and held her arm to help keep her erect. But Manna did not want his pity. This man, this vindictive little man who would do anything to gain revenge for his hurt pride. She did not hate him but she would not allow his murderous hands upon her. Resisting the urge to push him away, Manna perfunctorily removed his hand from her arm.

"I'm fine," she said quietly. Their eyes locked for a moment before Avery looked away with clear discomfort. It brought her a certain level of satisfaction. If he wished to take her life, it was his right by law, but it was certainly not her responsibility to make him feel justified in doing so.

"The Elder Nita Manna Sayers has accepted her sentence," Avery said, stepping away from her and addressing the assembly. "As we have decreed, she will be allowed to spend her remaining time as she chooses." He turned to her again. "Nita Sayers, you are free to go."

Manna bowed her head to him and then to the Council. "I take my leave of your honored presence with the knowledge that I have committed grievous actions against you in my secrecy, for which I will be justly punished," she said. "I am truly sorry for my deception against all who are assembled here today and our entire people. I hold no malice at your decision and fully accept my guilt." The room was deathly silent. Not a man among them returned her gaze as she looked across the Meetinghouse. Manna was glad to know that these men had, at least to some degree, forgiven her enough to feel regret at her eminent demise. They were not entirely proud of their ruling.

"This meeting is ended." Avery's announcement broke the awkward silence and many of the Council members began to rise, departing the meeting hall almost immediately, no doubt hoping to avoid facing her directly.

"Manna," Avery said, offering his hand. "May I escort you home?"

Manna found his audacity almost comical. Did the man imagine she had any desire to remain in his company voluntarily?

"I had understood that I was free of my own recognizance," she answered coldly.

"I was merely offering out of friendship," Avery replied.

Manna took a deep breath to tame the anger she could feel rising within her. She knew whose sway had likely determined the Council's verdict. She knew it was for the Council Leader's hurt pride that her blood would be spilled.

"Avery," she said, with as much calm indifference as she could manage. "I respect the decision of your Council and will, until my last breath, behave as befits my position, but do not think for a moment that there remains even a modicum of friendship between us." She brushed past him without waiting for a response, walking through the lingering crowd with purpose, ignoring their stares and the scattered comments of regret and sympathy a few men tried to lavish upon her. She did not want to hear their words.