Chapter 15: Axel By Morning

His mind entering back into reality, YN's body felt heavy, and his sides and back felt sore, not with fatigue, but as if they had been laid against for far too long. Akin to massively oversleeping on the weekend in a stiff position, he began to stir awake.

"Oh man..."

Forcing himself to sit up, YN found he was resting on a small bench inside a traveling carriage, like one of the many one could hire to travel between the cities of this world. This seat really did not do much in the way of being a good place to rest.

"My armor?"

Groggily noticing he was only in what he'd normally wear under his layers of plate protection, YN also realized these garments weren't the same ones he'd originally set out in. At some point, someone had changed what clothes he was in.

That's strange... Not only did someone take me out of my armor, they changed my clothes too before we've even gotten back to Axel?

It was now that YN looked about the cabin he was in.

There appeared to be a few pieces of his armor leaned against the forward part of the carriage's interior, but most of it appeared to be missing. Absent was his shield, his chest plate, and most other components of what was his full kit. His short sword, helmet, only one of his gauntlets, and single greave seemed to be present.

On them though, accompanying the spotty rust marks that were familiar, was a layer of blackened blast marks, predominantly on whatever side was facing towards the Explosion YN knew he had weathered to protect the one he for the longest time, had been unable to face.

"—and Yunyun..."

The last thing YN could really remember was the poor girl shaking his body, all in fear he was dying after protecting her.

I think I understand what's going on... we're all on our way back to Axel now, huh?

Sitting up more and putting his feet on the floor of the carriage, YN noticed he wasn't alone in this carriage.

"Cecily-san?"

Slumped over, asleep, was the blue-robed priestess of the Axis Order YN knew well. On her own bench, opposite of his own, Cecily was rested against a rather large, leather backpack, almost as big as she was. She had one of her arms still through the straps of it, but its size made YN skeptical if the priestess could even begin to carry such a monstrously sized bag.

From her snoring though, at the whisper of her name in surprise by YN, the girl with her golden locks of hair also began to awake.

"Huh? Are we there yet— Oh! YN-san! You're awake!"

At first groggy as she opened her eyes, the second she saw YN, the priestess nearly knocked her large bag off the seat as she sat up in shock.

"How do you feel?! Are you hurt still?! Here—!"

Shouting off questions, she spoke with pure excitement and speed, but quickly changed her prerogative and began to rifle through her large backpack as if searching for something. Undoing a series of zippers, looking for the right item, she quickly handed YN a small cloth wrapped item. She followed it up with a small leather pouch of sorts that he quickly realized was a waterskin.

"Uh, okay."

"You need to eat something!"

Unwrapping the small cloth item, it was preserved food of sorts, like one might take on a long journey.

"Thank you..."

As YN ate the offered food, he did find he was quite hungry and thirsty, more so than he had realized.