Chapter 8: Almost In the Jailhouse Now

Some time had passed for YN in his current living arrangement. Everyday, he donned his armor, and headed to the Guild Hall of Arcanletia for work.

However, for someone as low level as YN, even if his class abilities and stats were grossly unleveled to what his actual skill and power was good against, he had a difficult time finding willing parties to let him come aboard. Any parties that regularly let him join in were of lower levels, but they were numerous in size with many members, so his share of the rewards usually ended up being quite miniscule by the end of a Quest. With loot and the bounties split so thinly, it was a challenge for respective shares to even cover the cost of dinner afterwards.

Arcanletia had its own unique problem though. Due to its location, monsters and the likes usually stayed clear of the larger arid region it was in, and as a result, those monsters that did remain in the surrounding area tended to be rather high in their difficulty level, which in turn attracted higher level adventurers and shied away lower level ones.

Occasionally though, YN did find work on his own, however, most of the time and due to the nature of things, these Quests were little more than caravan escorts, guarding carriages coming to and from Arcanletia. Someone with no more than a shield tended to do very little unless the caravan was attacked while stopped, or the intensity of the attack was great enough to force them to halt, so his individual pay for such a job was usually low for that reason. Mages, wizards, archers, even spear-men were useful for these types of Quests, and as such, were hired more frequently, and for better rates.

To try and circumvent all of this though and still find work, or at least credibility for future work, YN would dawn a cloak or covering of some kind to disguise himself, and would shadow certain parties that were going out on Quests that would probably leave them in over their heads. His strategy here was to jump in at the last minute, should anyone be in danger, and save them, something his unique class allowed him to do phenomenally.

While this earned him thanks and sometimes a small chunk of the Quest's rewards from more generous Adventurers, he did this not for the money, nor the fame, but mostly in hopes he could network with others and be seen as a worthwhile Adventurer, thus allowing himself to be invited into more parties, however—

"He's a dirty opportunist!"

"That guy waits until things are do-or-die, and then steps in! Coward!"

"I bet he causes a lot of those situations, all so he can jump in and save the day! He's scum."

Quite the opposite effect was garnered from YN trying to do what his class did best; defending against foes. Less and less, he found himself able to join parties due to this false reputation he had going for him now.

Not one to be down-trodden though, YN still did his best, and still stuck around to save lower level Adventurers from Quests far too difficult for them. However, this just meant he frequented the Guild far less.

That wasn't to say either though that he had any real free time.

The two who had helped him thus far were also a handful to deal with.

If it wasn't Zesta getting into flaming public speeches on controversial topics, to which he had to be rescued from, or getting Cecily out of trouble with the law for small, petty things, YN might have had time to train on his own.

"Zesta-sama, you really shouldn't preach about how it's 'unjust' that men can't buy women's underwear without the same 'judgmental looks' if it were the other way around! Those women in the market district are going to hurt you one day!"

"I will challenge them to hurt me as best as they can! I will only welcome it!"

Or—

"Cecily-san... You realize all those loafs of bread you stole from the Eris Sect clergymen were for them to feed the beggars down in the slums, right?! And was drawing a mustache and glasses with ink on their idol of Eris really something else you had to do!?"